The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I call it my quiet time ... time to sip my coffee and meander through a blog or two, answer mail ... make my little list for the day.  The house is so quiet that I can hear the echo of cicadas calling to each other last night.  I usually like to light my yummy smelling Dune Grass candle first thing ... the scent floats on the silence just like a prayer.  I think it's neat that God can hear my heart ... and that He wants to.  This morning I saw a picture of a child nestled in the crook of her grandpa's arm.  Perfect fit ... like the arm was waiting for the child to rest there and ...  the arm that has bent to this and that, a nest for a tiny soul. Her sweet smelling foot is held tenderly in his hand.  Yeah ... maybe I do think God is sorta like some benevolent old dude, not my words, but words with were ascribed to maybe my perspective recently.  I don't know the people in that picture, but I do know joy when I see it ... pictured there and apparent in the room, behind the camera and over there where the baby's eyes danced to ... Momma?  Grandma?  Maybe the infant can see wonderful things that we adults forget to look for.
I do know that I have learned things about God because I love a child ... several children ... children who have become adults.  I think I can best contemplate "God" via the complex nuances of love.  The hand that holds a foot may one day hold a hand ... may guide a trusting heart.

That image of "loving", and joyfully so, does seem to be how I think of God in relationship with his children.

I call it my quiet time ... it's also time I might procrastinate a bit!  The hand rubbed poly has been applied to the table this morning ... waiting for it to dry and then, a second coat I think.  I also think I'm going to really like it.  It may be just the thing to finish the turquoise chest, and my old rocker.  Today is a day about finishing that ceiling in the den.  Yesterday I sanded and smoozed ... and smeared just a tiny bit more mud here and there.  This morning ... hopefully, just a few more minutes worth of fine tuning with the sanding block then on to cutting in paint around those beams ... then the magic of rolling paint on.  That roller totally rocks.  It's gonna look really good!  And then after all the clean up, I  am going to reward myself with some boldly patterned fabric to recover an over sized ottoman with.  Something that will stand up to the exuberance of that rag rug in there ... something I might not usually pick out.

Yesterday, standing on that gardening stool, I thought it was just like a skateboard ... yeah without the wheels ... okay maybe not just like, but it reminded me of skate boarding.  Now I am without my youth, but I have learned how to notice things I'm thankful for ... yesterday I was thankful that I can still balance my old bones ... hands overhead with my ball cap on backwards and certainly one of my very last face full of sheet rock dust days ... yeah ... today may be the last day of extreme sheetrock.



No comments: