The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

what I'm thinking about this morning

Today - this quiet morning part of today, I will do housework in my bedroom and bathroom, and I'll think about this stuff I have noted here. I had the opportunity to experience a tiny vinette - is that a word? - a little piece - more like a ride that one gets on and then the ride ends and you get off - a little experience where I just trusted a person and it wasn't complicated by being a big deal, long term experience ... just a glance really at what trust maybe should feel like. It's pretty impossible to actual "be" that trusting and/or trustworthy, isn't it? Because of that experience I think that is the really good, strong, kind of trust that God has in mind for us (- specifically me since this is what I'm thinking about - lol -) in relationship to Him. I am at least a little bit afraid, most of the time, to trust God with most of my stuff. And I believe that is exactly what the original sin was precisely about ... they believed a lie, presented as a truth, that God was holding out on them and could not be trusted ... and the distancing of us from Him began. For me, those issues - trust or not trust - are the bricks that pave that narrow road back to Him. Recently, someone, just slightly derisively, asked me if I believe in all that nothing but the blood (of Jesus) stuff. Yeah, I do. But probably not exactly as it is usually presented. I've thought about it quite a bit over the years. I think it is about the value (in this case, the "life" of Jesus) that God places on our choice to trust Him, or not. I wasn't thinking to write about that this morning, but just to clarify a tiny bit: I don't know about every one's cultural take on this idea, but I do believe that most people instinctively value their own life. Maybe some cultures think their next life will be better because of how they spend this life ... like jihadist ... and like christians too. I'm saying, I think we humans generally see our own life as valuable - really valuable - priceless maybe. Jesus spent his life demonstrating a relationship with God and then surrendered his valuable human life to demonstrate trust in God's ability to give him life again. All the suffering leading up to, and the death on, Calvary wouldn't have been significant if Christ hadn't risen. When people want to make a point or deliver an important message, they look for ways to make the message meaningful. Our own life/death is usually an attention getter, the life of people we love may be even more important to us. So, the story of salvation (that includes the blood of Jesus) is: God sacrificed the human life of His son, and Jesus said he would do that for God and for us - so Jesus also decided to be a sacrifice - because of the value of that sacrifice - God's most valuable relationship was on the line. I think Jesus experienced all the same issues that we all deal with ... dying like that must have been horrible for a man who had recently healed, restored, ... spoken life back in. Then, he trusted. He asked God to find a different way, but God must have believed this was the best - maybe only way. So, I think, Jesus said okay, I trust you. God put His most precious thing on the table and with that He said, I'm not holding out on you, you can trust me...look at what I have placed at sake to help you see that ... you can trust me. Yeah - I think the story of a man called Jesus is historically accurate. I believed in a creator ... but the god I had learned about wasn't who I trust now. I am pretty amazed that it is possible to trust anyone at all - and especially the God who I can't see ... I see my airplane being "pushed" and I know it is the wind. A real person came and walked along beside me for a few days and one of the things we talked about was how important the wind is to airplanes. I can't see the wind but I can see it's effects. I don't have to see it to believe it. My belief has zero bearing on the facts. It's fluttering the azalea branches just outside my window right now. I can trust God who is invisible. Trusting God is a really good thing. Trusting. I'm thinking that trust may be the spiritual component analogous to lift.

Psalm 9:10
Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Psalm 13:5
But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.

Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

Psalm 40:4
Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods

Psalm 56:3
When I am afraid, I will trust in you

Psalm 56:4
In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

Psalm 62:8
Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah

Psalm 118:8
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Proverbs 28:26
He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe.

Luke 16:10-12
10"Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else's property, who will give you property of your own?

John 14:1
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.

Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 13:6-7
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

What is "trust?"
noun
1.reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence.
2.confident expectation of something; hope.
3.confidence in the certainty of future payment for property or goods received; credit: to sell merchandise on trust.
4.a person on whom or thing on which one relies: God is my trust.
5.the condition of one to whom something has been entrusted.
6.the obligation or responsibility imposed on a person in whom confidence or authority is placed: a position of trust.
7.charge, custody, or care: to leave valuables in someone's trust.
8.something committed or entrusted to one's care for use or safekeeping, as an office, duty, or the like; responsibility; charge.
9.Law.
a.a fiduciary relationship in which one person (the trustee) holds the title to property (the trust estate or trust property) for the benefit of another (the beneficiary).
b.the property or funds so held.
10.Commerce.
a.an illegal combination of industrial or commercial companies in which the stock of the constituent companies is controlled by a central board of trustees, thus making it possible to manage the companies so as to minimize production costs, control prices, eliminate competition, etc.
b.any large industrial or commercial corporation or combination having a monopolistic or semimonopolistic control over the production of some commodity or service.
11.Archaic. reliability.

Notes from article:Rebuilding Trust ~Written by Lynette Hoy NCC, LCPC

"Adjust your expectations:

People are human, frail, and sinful. Therefore, you need a realistic type of trust when you choose to trust someone. Trusting grows in relationships over time because as you spend time together with someone you build knowledge, understanding and authenticity. You gain insight into another person’s character, needs, motivations and fears.

Unconditional love develops trust because as you express this kind of love towards someone — generally he or she will sense your acceptance and feel comfortable to be vulnerable and honest about their feelings. Unconditional love actually builds self-esteem in others and alleviates their fears of rejection. People learn that they can be authentic with you about their feelings, opinions, and failures. The result is a growing trust in the other person. Not because that person is perfect but because that person is growing in honesty.

Unconditional love is patient and kind

It is not self-seeking. It does not keep a record of wrongs. When love is not patient or enduring; when love is unforgiving and always disappointed or looking for something to go wrong, it generates fear and looks for imperfections in the other person. Fear-based love is conditional creating an atmosphere of distrust, dishonesty and instability."

And a few quotes on trust:


One must be fond of people and trust them if one is not to make a mess of life. ~E.M. Forster
I think we may safely trust a good deal more than we do. ~Henry David Thoreau

Our distrust is very expensive. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment unless you trust enough. ~Frank Crane

The only way to make a man trustworthy is to trust him. ~Henry L. Stimson

We're all born brave, trusting, and greedy, and most of us remain greedy. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

Few things help an individual more than to place responsibility upon him, and to let him know that you trust him. ~Booker T. Washington

You can as easily love without trusting as you can hug without embracing. ~Robert Brault

No comments: