The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Max

Max, 10 weeks
He's almost big enough to hop up on to the couch (which is allowed) all by himself.  We are training Max to be an inside dog.  Sammy did great inside, but preferred being outside on the porch mostly, or far enough back in the yard where he could see in to the house.  I walked Sammy several miles most days and he seemed to really like that.  This pup will be a dog who enjoys a walk too.  He is doing great with his leash training.  We are making the mistake of taking him outside through the front door without a leash for "potty time".  As big as he is going to be he really shouldn't leave the house or backyard when he's not on a lead. Last week we meet a Great Pyrenees on our trail.  He was walking with a couple who are about my age and the dog was huge!  Bigger than Sammy ever was.  I think I'm not exaggerating to guess the dog was around 185 pounds and probably a full hand taller than Sam as well.  The man was wearing heavy leather gloves and warned that his dog didn't like puppies.  Pyrs are by nature very laid back dogs so I was "eyebrows up" and moving along.  The dog, his dog,  seemed perfectly calm and observant to me ... .  That to note - this dog is going to be big, or bigger than big, and the window of opportunity to train him is ever decreasing.  This bred is notoriously stubborn too so ... once he gets his head set he'll be leaning heavily in that direction ... redirects are more difficult than getting started right are.

My husband likes that the dog follows me from room to room.  I do like that he keeps an eye on me as Sammy did.  He is a bit more attentive than I want him to be though.  I especially don't like that he nips at me, attempting to move me in the direction he wants to go.  His bred is for guardian/herding.  He also stops right in front of me (occasionally), sometimes turning around to face me,  attempting to  move me around.  He has also tried bumping me to redirect.  I'm not going to have any of that.  At all.  It's a lot of work training a pup.  This bred will attempt to dominate but I can already tell that he's going to be a good at accepting leadership.  I laughing say he may need some billygoats to boss around ... the (2) cats are uncooperative, but tolerant of his natural tendencies.

Here is a list of "dominant" behaviors from a good dog behaviors site:
  • Stubborn
  • Headstrong and willful
  • Demanding
  • Pushy
  • Begging
  • Pushing a toy into you or pawing in order to get you to play with them
  • Nudging you to be petted
  • Sitting in high places, looking down on everything
  • Guarding a human from others approaching. People like to call it “protecting” but it's actually “claiming”—dog owns you.
  • Barking or whining at humans which many owners consider "talking" (without a command to do so).
  • High-pitched screams in protest of something dog does not wish to do.
  • Jumping or putting their paws on humans (without a command to do so).
  • Persistence about being on a particular piece of furniture when asked to stay off (dog owns it)
  • Persistence about going in and out of doorways before humans
  • Persistence about walking in front of humans while on a lead
  • Persistence about getting through the doorway first
  • Refusing to walk on a lead (excludes untrained puppies, dogs with injuries or illnesses)
  • Nipping at people's heels when they are leaving (dog did not give permission to leave)
  • Not listening to known commands
  • Dislikes people touching their food
  • Standing proud on a human lap
  • Persistence about being on top, be it a lap or stepping on your foot
  • Persistence about where they sleep, i.e. on your pillow
  • Annoyance if disturbed while sleeping
  • Likes to sleep on top of their humans
  • Licking (giving kisses) in a determined and focused manner
  • Carrying themselves with a proud gait, head held high
  • Not liking to be left alone and getting overly excited upon the human’s return 



No comments: