The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

National Seashore - Camping out with some of the family -

Now that I'm back where iced drinks and hot showers may be taken for granted, I'd like to save some of the pictures taken on the recent campout.  A couple of our adult children, L and I spent several days at the National Seashore (near Corpus Christi, Texas).
This was the first time I have seen deer at the beach.  They were huge, like elk sized huge, and not shy at all.  They were grazing at dusk atop the dunes behind were we selected to set up camp.  I hoped they would return while we were there but they didn't.






Our campsite was 3.5 miles South of where the pavement stops.  I'm a happier camper when I can shower ... fortunately the Parks Service provides a pretty nice facility in support of that!  We did see a bit of traffic, mostly day fishermen who came and went.  Some traffic moved further South on the 67 mile stretch (too far from the bath house for me).  Here we are looking back up the way, Northward.
Four captured this shot and dressed it up with some filter app.


This pic is of the first day's sunset.  It was dark when we stopped (near the deer).



Both of these are around "sunrise" over the Gulf and are without filter or manipulation of any kind.


Surprisingly, both the kids were great at sleeping in.  My coffee bell rings pretty early!



Sometimes we would cover the tents hoping to keep sand out but it was so blowy that it was a losing battle.  After a few days even the towels were covered in sand and salt brine.



Fire building was a favorite pastime.  We collected wood there - some of it big, some small, all in various stages of still damp.  The kids liked the fire work a lot.  All I did was enjoy.

C, aka Four



Bocce Ball was a new game for me and lots of fun.
I basically rocked it.  


This kite has been with us for sometime.  Flying a kite at the beach is a tradition for us.
I really wanted to buy a new kite at a super cool kite store up in Boulder, but this one is still in great shape.  We did lose it's little spinning corkscrew tail on this trip.


This was taken from my cot.  The ability to watch the moon rise and arc across the night sky ... the Milky Way and all those stars ... probably my favorite part.  Not sure ... everything except the blowing sand was really cool.





It took three solid hours and 12 bucks worth of quarters to get the sand out of the car.  Yesterday we power washed all the gear.

 I'm actually almost ready to head down there again!  Next time I'm going to pack my change of clothes in ziplock bags!

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

A long camping stay at your kind of seashore sounds really lovely - IF as you say, there are showers available... it would have to be some other seashore besides our North CA Coast ones, which are too cold with the arctic currents flowing past.

Even as a child, I went with my father to the Central Coast camping, laying our cotton bags on the sand every night and waking up drenched with fog. We'd spread our bags on the bushes to dry and eat little individual boxes of cereal waiting for the sun to come out.