The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, May 12, 2020









The pictures are a compilation of screenshots from my county's website. My county, north of Travis county, is large geographically and is home to 590550 folks per the latest census guesstimates.

16/590550x100=0.00271%  (My county, in Texas)  One death per 37,000 people.

81,779/330,000,000x100=0.02478%  (My Country, USA)  One death per 4,000 people.


This is day 60 of "Shelter in Place" for my husband and me. Our youngest returned from her college apartment maybe a couple of weeks in.  It's been pretty quiet here. At first I busied myself making masks for some first responders we know and care for, another large round of masks specifically because one of my sons said they needed them for his work group, then a couple of each of my kids and their "People".  For myself ... I wear one when out grocery shopping, but less so now as the fear factor decreases in my community. The medical professionals who I see out there grocery shopping are not wearing masks in public. Everyone, who can remember to, is social distancing aka the 6 foot bubble. I don't mind if perfect strangers stay 6 feet away from me at all times. It's not that I'm bothered by close proximity in general, it's that the pace of people has slowed and I like that. The hive is both less populated in any given space and less swarmy, less erratic within the space. I like it. I like it because it feels more agreeable. It feels like a return of courtesy. I haven't heard the F word in a couple of months. Pleasant in an old fashioned gentler time sort of way ... how did we get here so fast and what's next I wonder. 

In my bubble, everything is pretty much the same as usual.
Only real impact of these times for us has been cancelled travel plans. We were going to go to Yellowstone this year, and planned on spending the 4th near Mt. Rushmore. I wanted to see the fireworks there this year. Maybe some next time will arrive. We've postponed a trip over to visit my oldest daughter and her family. I'm hoping to make a birthday visit to our Colorado son. Travel plans have been the only inconvenience.  I did drive a couple hours up I35 just to see one of my kids. FaceTime has been a blessing.
I've noticed a lot of bickering on NEXT DOOR app..
All of my kids have been able to continue their work. My family circle hasn't been adversely affected financially by the virus although one of mine was officially (by the doctor but not tested) declared to have it and two other's are pretty sure they had it as early as January.

It is heartbreaking to think of the financial and otherwise devastation of this on those many who have been hurt. I can't imagine the pain that the people in those areas hard hit (yet again) have grappled with. I've read that there is a calculable human cost in every point gained on the unemployment scale. Domestic violence and suicide rates go up during high stress times.  We pause waiting to see what will happen next.

My observations are that masks make people "feel like victims". I wonder if it is a sense of silence, silencing, anonymity in the diminishing vein. The masks seems to provoke, signal and  support fear. I do think the masks should be normalized as apparel for a person who wishes to signal a desire for social distancing because they are immune compromised or for whatever their need for space is.

For a while, early on in this time ... this time will be the topic of a bunch of dissertations I'll bet ... I was uncharacteristically anxious about what is getting ready to maybe happen that "they" either don't know how deep, or how wide, or both, this may cut. I wondered and it seemed like we were all wondering what's going on.  I'm still wondering, but I'm not anxious.
We've been out to replenish necessities, also to exercise the dog at the local bark park. I'm glad they were able to keep it available - it an old five or so acre pecan grove. Plenty of room even if all fifteen parking spaces are full.

I've depleted my fabric supply and my acrylic paint supply. Those are my main creative outlets. Painting and quilting. Fortunately it's that time of year when yard work is very demanding. My husband has an on going project and everything he needs to finish it so that's been nice for him - pictures of that later. It's an "Orangery".

These are interesting times. If I could choose any of the times we've known, I think I'd choose now.

13 June 2020
Update. 




1 July 2020






No comments: