The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, January 12, 2015

Fog

I like the perspective that fog gives.  
I was surprised today when I left my house for work.  I haven't been paying as much attention to the weather, the forecasted weather, as I used to.  Lately I've been looking at only what I can see, well actually not quite accurate, but I've been almost that tuned out ... almost that oblivious - I look at what the weather is in the handful of places where my people are (for sure) and I make a cursory glance at the class B airspaces (but only radar for those places).  This morning I asked my phone to dial up the local ATIS and learned that we were below 1/4vis and OVC ... less then 200' ceilings ... and it was so for the most of the day.  Calm and cool all day, the moist air had no reason to go anywhere so it didn't.  It's great fun to fly IFR but driving  in that low a visibility became interesting.  I made a trip which had me driving in it for several hours today.  Because I wasn't with traffic it was a lot of fun - just me and whatever Pandora's idea of Hozier radio would be (heard a couple of new to me songs which were screen shot worthy).  I was sorta out in the middle of nowhere and I noticed my google map app becoming confounded (another screen shot of the blue line to my destination just in case).  Mostly I thought over and over again about the many truths of fog.  Fog is low clouds, clouds which have a base within  50' of the ground ... and these were at the surface becoming denser at the higher places along the highway.  I even went the speed limit most of the time though I usually like to fudge that just slightly.  (I'm working on that.  It's just that in Texas there are tons of place where one may legally drive 80mph and this 65 stuff feels a bit lame.)  
At some point above the mess the sky was beautiful blue.  And the sun was definitely shining up there.  Nothing, not even the tiniest patch of clear indicated that truth.  On the ground it was low, stayed low, deviating occasionally from thick to thicker.  I observed that the iPhone camera app could see farther and more clearly then what my eyes could collect studying the same view.  Neat right? Filters.
I can't see stuff that I know beyond any doubt is there.  My inability to see it doesn't make it less there or not there at all.  I love that.  The strength of my faith does not distort the object of my faith.
I also like a couple of other ideas that fog encourages me to consider.  Because I know I can't see very far ahead (for example because aft visibility is hampered too but ... who ever really ever looks back?) ... looking ahead ... I did begin to exercise caution.  It would have been fun to fly through there hugging the road but ... deers. Deers or who knows what.  Life has stuff that jumps out of nowhere too.  I think sometimes I underestimate the potential for weirdness which could (and lately has) happen(ed).  I'm thinking there must be a way to slow life down just a bit when visibility is squirrelly.  Maybe.  I don't know what it is, but I think thinking about that is worth my time.   

taken at a red light - first day back at work in a while

just because I thought it was interesting

I stopped in the middle of nowhere and snapped these from the car

what's immediately ahead...
couldn't see very far
and in a way it made the journey a lot more interesting
in the sense that I focused more intently
on my immediate surroundings

“Faith is like radar that sees through the fog -- the reality of things at a distance that the human eye cannot see.” ~Corrie ten Boom


I like this:  2 Timothy 2:13 ... If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.

No comments: