The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

#doover



An old friend, Bp, chose to share her birthday largess by booking a place specifically set up to accommodate quilting retreats ... retreats for quilters. The guest list ended up including five people who I've known forever and five strangers.

Gosh, I can tell I haven't been writing for a long time!  This feels so stilted!

I mention the stranger thing because I tend not to warm up to people very fast and sometimes (mostly) not at all.  Close to the last minute I messaged Bp attempting to "vacate" my spot so that a real quilter might enjoy the venue and camaraderie.  Apparently quilt retreats are a thing. I am the sort of quilter who pieced a crib sized top 33 years ago and finally jettisoned it, unfinished, during the great move of 2015. It was a Jakob's ladder pattern and was so meticulously pieced together that I basically was over it before picking out a backing fabric.  I realized in 1984 that I was not meant to be a quilter, but Bp flatly stately, "No, you're in," shushing further discussion on my attendance.  I had a blast!

#doover, pictured above, is a mug rug ... party favor.  Bp requested that each of us create a mug rug (that's like a place mat specifically sized to accommodate a coffee cup, a mug coaster), wrap it up cute (she said doll it up when I asked if it should be wrapped for the party), and each guest would have one to open and take home to enjoy.  Quite frankly, I liked the idea of the challenge - creating something out of the thin air of my quilting imagination, but I wasn't THAT enthusiastic about bringing home another "ditty" when I'm spending so much time on clearing away years worth of
s t u f f.  It takes a lot of time to decide if a thing brings joy, and then if it doesn't, deciding where it needs to go.

 "joy" ... maybe you'll want to look at Marie Kondo's book:

the life-changing magic of tidying up
the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing
#1 NEW YORK TIMES best Seller
(on loan from One)

 but I wasn't THAT enthusiastic ... Until 
I opened my package, saw my new treasure, and read the note safety pinned to it. Here's what the little note said:

I am learning not to rehash the previous day & not to listen to the uninvited voices that go along with doing that. Everyday is a do over. I thought it might be a beneficial reminder to the recipient as well.                    Leviticus 2:22-24

Here's one of my favorite parts - remember, I was just writing about "intentional ... in the day ... blah blah ... maybe I'm best at big picture ... lol ... I remember.  "Big picture" encourages one to run amok all over the canvas ... to paint as the Master's did, da Vinci for example was big on layering for effect and painting over entirely to find the most pleasing lines, takes diligence and commitment to excellence.  The mug rug, as beautifully crafted as it's intended take away was thoughtfully conceived, invites me to the present, to today ... to a clean slate and an engaging God.

Here's another one of my favorite parts.  There is no Lev. 2:22-24.  But/and the mug rug's message is "Do Over's, not only allowed, but encouraged".  As I lay on my bunk contemplating the possibilities ... was this a simple mistake ... I thought it would be a verse about His mercies are new every morning ... one of my favorite verses about God's provision of grace ... or was there some little gem in Leviticus, hidden among the rules, that these reference numbers could be un-jumbled to reveal.  I concluded that my new buddy girl might need a do over on the verse directive. I even wondered if she planned it that way.

Here's my next, another, favorite part.  Coincidently, I was seated next to her at dinner.  I told her I'd made an attempt at finding the verse, but "There is no Leviticus 2:22-24".  As her eyebrows pinched together, I continued, "Leviticus chapter 2 stops at verse 16". And her deadpanned response?  "What kinda Bible are you reading?"  Ha!  I laughed out loud!  Too funny.  At that moment.I knew I had found a kindred spirit, a friend.

Here's my mug rug - given the constraint that I can't make every corner joint meet (I know that because of all the hair I lost on my first attempt at the mug rug challenge (yes, it was challenging)) I found a way to make wildly mismatched angles appear intentional. The handwork included French Knot flowers (one for each retreatee) and a bluebird singing in a tree, one of the many forming the piney veil of East Texas.  My mother taught me how to sew, also how to embroidery.


Would have made a delightful Barbie quilt!

Thankful 117/1000 People who love us
                118/1000 Stangers who quickly become friends
                119/1000 a mother who taught me to sew and embroidery
                120/1000 #doover - a beautiful reminder, tailor made to how I start my day, that His mercies are new every morning, in other words, He doesn't run out of grace, patience and love, for us.


PS!  Almost forgot!  I made a quilt top!  It is so cute (if I may say so myself) and I am looking forward to finishing it and will post pics asap - 

No comments: