The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, December 3, 2015

 That's Shadow ... He came to us with his two brothers when his eyes were still shut.  Kitten formula, found at Walmart, and a little heating pad from the same place saved his life.  For a while they snuggled in a laundry basket full of soft old towels.  I'd lift them out carefully always mindful of their fragile skeletons, gosh they were tiny. Over the next several weeks I basically fell in love with them.  Sammy didn't seem to mind at all.  He tolerates them okay and it's funny to see how casual they are around him.  Shadow is.  I should say.  One was lost to a freak accident, another to a snake bite just before we moved back to Texas.  It's funny how it is with Shadow.  He's a real stinker, tumping over the kitchen waste basket ... he even has the audacity to leap up on to the counter tops with me watching.  We do this dance, he jumps up to see what might be available, I shriek at him, "GET DOWN", he gracefully acquiesces and struts towards the  out door.  He knows how it goes.  Tomcats who can't mind their manners best be outside.  If I'm home, Shadow frequently spends the day inside "lording it" over the other cat (also black, also a rescue, but an entirely different  moment of grace brought him to us) but prefers outside at night.  He hits the back door in time to come in for breakfast.  Lately, he's been coming home with a "sick" eye, which I tend to for him, yesterday I noticed another "notch" in his left ear.  I don't know what sort of trouble he finds for himself.
When I snapped that picture I was wondering, "What is Shadow getting up to now?"
He could sun on the back porch glider all day long, later he could bask in the moonlight filtering through the trees, yet he has things, mysterious cat things to do.

He wants for nothing, yet he wants something.  We are a bit like that too.

Today I am looking a bit deeper in to "The Engineering of Consent" ... Why do we want what we want.

No comments: