The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Nothing much - feels like enough!

lady bug
I'm liking empty nest.  In fact, the nest doesn't feel empty at all. It is actually sorta great.  I feel good about having helped five different people start their own good lives. They are great at keeping me looped in.
My dog wanders around the house wondering where V is and when she'll be home.
It would help him to sniff out her dorm room, but that's probably not allowed.

Her room feels so empty with a lot of her stuff gone - 
I put a quilt on the headboard in an attempt to "warm it up" in there a bit.
She has wanted that wall painted black with blackboard paint  
and I can see it would have provided a nice accent.

We, husband and I, have tentatively planned a week or so away camping out.  The weather is currently forecast to put a damper on that, but maybe not. Weather forecast a week out is as unreliable as tea leaves. I'd like a stretch of clear skies.  If not, we will put our kayaks in the local lake and hunt for dinosaur tracks.  People say when the water is low, as it is all over Texas right now, that the tracks are easy to see. There are caverns practically within walking distance of my home which I've yet to explore. Plenty to do.

I planted a variety of caladiums in this past Spring. They are underperforming in the bed they're in and I'm trying to decide about auditioning them in a different bed or tucking them in to a pot for the winter.  I wonder if the tubers have rotted ... this is my first time with caladiums and I know just enough about them to know that they are really cool looking when they are "happy".  Mine are sad.


We have a banana tree that has done so well. Later I will take a few pictures of the leaf design - very elegant water capturing system. The stalks are like straws that fill up with water and deliver it straight to the roots.  We had bananas growing in the yard at my childhood home.

So - still tweaking the plantings.  I'm enjoying the yard work.

Inside I'm starting a "scrap quilt" from these pieces.  We have a quilting retreat planned for next year and I am such a slow worker that I need a headstart!


2 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

When I was growing up my father planted a banana tree by the house and it always looked good! I wonder if it's still there now that my brother and wife live in that house...

Your quilt will be pretty with all those ingredients!

GretchenJoanna said...

How was the camping trip?