The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

From 2011 - in the mood for a bad mood - just goofiness.

Okay here's something kinda funny: well, first the background, it's certainly not my intention to hide this.

Last year that professional hero who I talked with about this blog said the very least I should do is make an attempt to record visits to this site somewhere ... Somehow. There are a few whacks out there he said. I said some goofy blog of a housewife who happens to love flying ... Surely the voltage here would be way too low to charge a whacko. Just do that stat counter thing he said.
So I did.

The statcounter ... Well, for one thing, it's free ... and I am reminded of the old adage, "you get what you pay for" ... Of course, I've been on the planet long enough to believe that one frequently overpays ... and is then expected to tip!
The stat counter feature records some "hits" ... And gives the possible location for the cellular tower that is pinging the site. If apple devices are used it may or may nor capture the visit. If it does, it's documented as "service provider" and basically says ... USA. Whenever I have asked friends to open my page it never records their hit ...and this is strange: it might show several different pageloads, but record the time spent as zero ... It's just not good data. It is fun to see the page maybe being openned up in other countries ... and it is a lot of fun to see the words translated to foreign languages ... very cool for a little country mouse like me.  But as far as who is actually reading the blog ... who knows, and who cares for the most part.  The free level of data that is collected is unreliable ... and doesn't even agree with the blogger stats ...and the time range is very limited.  My good friend who is down in South Texas ... never ever shows her looking in on me ... but she does. Okay ... We all know South Texas is the armpit of the world ... perhaps reception is poor there.   So ... My daughter was recently visiting in Los Angeles. That would seem to be an area that would record a hit.I asked her to open the page on her phone and on her laptop ... she did ... her visit wasn't captured.  Seems like it works best with hits from outside the US ... maybe ... it doesn't matter to me.
Why am I writing about this? This is why ... All of a sudden statcounter is lighting up with "Google queries" ... What is meant by "this quote" ... What about true north funeral something or other.  Weird little arteries that dead end on a blog ... questions that will find no answers here.  This is what kinda has me going tonight ... these google queries. Maybe I am just in the mood to be in a bad mood.  Someone wants to know what has changed on the FAA written exam

I have a few pet peeve ... .  One is the toilet papar roll/wall dispenser. Seriously, I'm not even kidding around here, in our home ... and every home I have ever lived in ... okay including the only outhouse I've ever visited and the job site type porta-potties ... That spring loaded dowel that attaches itself to a handy little t-paper dispenser ... If you use the last bit on the roll ... for the love of all things lovely ... please freaking reload the roll holder! It would be so extra credit to "point" the tip of the roll, but never something one would count on. Every freaking day in my house ... I pick up new rolls and hang them in the appropriate location ... that pisses me off.  And has absolutely nothing to do with the google search ... they are related only as pet peeves.
So here is the other thing ...

Flight training/testing gamesmanship. Okay ... That is not right. Gamesmanship I get. Gamesmanship is actually appropriate ... perhaps expected ... perhaps even admirable. The slackerness is what zings me ... Some google search recorded by the statcounter asks "what are the written test changes?" I would really like to ask ... where in real life are you ever given all the possible questions and all the correct answers in a multiple choice format? If your goal is to score well ... memorize the answers. I'm not even being judgmental with that remark. There are all kinds of reasons why people who want to be pilots just memorize the answers. I think it's stupid to leave yourself exposed like that ... Cramming for a test and "understanding" pertinate info are two different things ... But surely a person who puts a plane up in the air gets that. Here's the deal as I see it ... The written is an opportunity for you to see if you "know" the stuff you really should know before you fly yourself and your buds around. There is a ton of stuff and it takes quite a bit of effort to "get it" ... It's impossible to know everything ... Someone said aviation knowledge is like a block of Swiss cheese ... No matter how big your chunk, there are still going to be holes in it. So ... The written might be an instrument to indicate weak areas.

Now it is the next day ... and I see that this little post is just a little rant.  I see that I really was in the mood to be in a bad mood ... as I suspected.  This may be about the pre-dinner dirty martini ... looks like I might do well to stick with ice cold water ... .   I'm going to go ahead and post this so I can see how ridiculous I sometimes am.

No comments: