The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, January 13, 2020

And it's a human need to be told stories. 
The more we are governed by idiots
and have no control over our destinies, 
the more we need to tell stories to each other 
about who we are, why we are,where we came from, 
and what might be possible. 
~Alan Rickman

I haven't read Harry Potter even though I've seen the books on shelves in my home, and though the some of the movies have been playing around me, I haven't watched them. I did stop for one very cool scene where the special effects were pretty amazing...I don't really remember it though. Today I saw this quote on PINTEREST with a picture of Alan Rickman and I thought he was a SNL guy, former guy, the comedian known for the Church Lady, and it seemed like an interesting observation. Turns out Rickman is known for his role in the Harry Potter movies. Cultural relevance ... I'm not very tuned in.

The quote though.

I'm not a person who feels that the idiocy of our "leadership" is on the rise. I also don't feel that I've lost control of my destiny. As I type that, I'm not even sure that I believe destiny plays a role in many (if any) of our lives. I mean, maybe. It's a comforting idea. One of my close friends suggested that the Civil Rights movement would not have happened if not for LBJ. Uh...ludicrous. Maybe my astonishment hurt her feelings. I don't want to talk about LBJ, but his legacy does at least in part support my conclusion that idiotic governance isn't a new thing. I rarely make political observations. But here I will say I don't believe we can be genuinely  proud of any of them. 

...the more we need to tell stories to each other 
about who we are, why we are,where we came from, 
and what might be possible. 

 That's the part that interests me. I like stories.


But the biggest and most important impacts of Apollo are less tangible. For example, the giant leap gave Americans a glimpse of their nation's true potential.

Apollo 11 showed that "when we have the political will to do something grand, and we set ourselves an achievable goal — even though it's challenging — the country can come together and do something of magnificent quality," said John Logsdon, a professor emeritus of political science and international affairs at George Washington University's Elliott School of International Affairs in Washington, D.C.
To appreciate the scope of the Apollo 11 accomplishment, consider where NASA stood at the start of the moon rush. 


That, APOLLO 11, is a great story. 
It is such a great story with so many great (great like significant) smaller stories told during and after the actual process. 

Coincidentally, another (new) favorite story which I'm becoming more familiar with is the bigger story of the Jewish Feasts. Fascinating. Sometimes I hear about something that makes me wonder "how did I not know something about that". And the weirdest part of not knowing about The Feasts is I do (and you probably do too) know quite a bit about the why or how of each of the particular Feasts.

Like Passover. And I think of "it", the story of Passover as, the story of Passover. 

Israel in bondage, enter Moses/Pharoah/plagues ... blood of an unblemished sacrificial lamb placed as a sign to "death" to passover ... which culminated in the Exodus of the Jewish people from Egypt (and captivity) to (eventually) "the promised land".  

Passover is sort of the beginning of the cycle of Feasts (sort of because there are some pretty interesting stories leading up to Passover). 

I'm going to try to retell why I think the story of the Feasts is so interesting. Starting later. Now it's past time for me to walk my dog.


The astronaut “toy” is there to remind me that great stories still happen. 


No comments: