The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, November 12, 2015



"We die daily. Happy those who daily come to life as well." ~George MacDonald

I should have noted that I flew last week.  And I remembered why I love it.  Someone was talking about people your soul knows (I love that and instinctively feel the truth of the words), I think there must be things we do that our soul "knows".  It's good for me - flying little airplanes.

After the flight I saw a missed call from my mother-in-laws Memory care facility.  She had taken a fall, maybe fractured her hip, and was at the hospital.  I hurried to pick up V and got her settled at home then made the drive up there.  By time I arrived I'd already learned that her hip was fine but there was a slow bleed in her brain.
My husband arrived (after a 12 hour drive) in the parking lot at the same time I did and we walked up to the ICU together.  She survived the night but never regained consciousness.  The next day we moved her to a hospice facility.  She passed yesterday.

I am happy for her.  Life can get pretty confusing and frustrating when memory loss gets the upper hand.

I am ready to be happy again.  As happy as I usually have been.  Maybe even happier if that is possible.  It looks like flying is going to be part of that.  And painting (big canvases).  And getting settled into a home.  And going to the beach (I just threw that in there because if anything is a "reset" in life, it's gotta be going to the beach).

Last week (this is random) a guy who I had friended on Facebook just because he graduated from my high school and had a ton of the same friends, I thought he was probably a classmate who I just didn't remember.  Anyway ... he was best friends with the guy who was killed in the car accident with my big brother.  He has been wanting to text me about that for a couple of years now.  I hope what ever resolution he was hoping for was found.  We carry our baggage too long I think.   Why is it so hard to put down?


"Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. 
Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with 
love, grace and gratitude." 
- Denis Waitley

"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy." 

- R.L. Stevenson

Can you will yourself to "be happy" and can you will yourself to "put down our baggage/burdens"?
Worth a shot.

3 comments:

Gretchenjoanna said...

Good question about willing happiness... To me it is more that after a time the emotions are quieted down, the thoughts not so wild, so I can notice the happiness as a gift that is just there, to be enjoyed. Because life is full of good things and LOVE.

Thank you for sharing about it. I'm glad you flew again and that this time it was more natural and satisfying.

Gretchenjoanna said...

I often forget the first subject of a blog that I wanted to comment about - in this case, the repose of your mother-in-law. My condolences - and may her memory be eternal. You had a similar experience to mine when so soon after my husband's death, I spent a long time and long days surrounding my goddaughter's decline and death. I assume you still have a funeral... but yes, it will be good to go forward to the next things.

DeAnn said...

"We die daily. Happy those who daily come to life as well." ~George MacDonald

"Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude." - Denis Waitley

"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy." - R.L. Stevenson

Hi GJ.
I know you enjoy quotes as I do. Thought these fit with your kind words.