The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, November 20, 2015

Jeff Foxworthy jokes, "If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Texas." Honestly, I don't think of distance in another way.  The other day, driving home from DFW, while stuck in traffic on 35 I saw a digital construction sign which read Temple 4 miles 40 minutesFoxworthy also notes, "If the speed limit on the highway is 55mph, and you're going 80, and everybody's passing you, you may live in Texas."  People laugh at those one liners, but ... seems just a fact to me.  They gotta get 35 back up and running!


Yesterday I walked with Sammy for a couple hours, came home, fixed a lunch (that is a word meaning "prepared") of chicken salad and leftover vinegar slaw, then set out on another walk with Sammy and my husband.
This picture was snapped from the low-water crossing (a concrete bridge) near our place. A heron is frequently fishing from a perch on that spillway along the San Gabriel River.  Yesterday, a baby heron practicing gliding skills delighted us as he flew from one side to the other.

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

A weed is but an unloved flower.~Ella Wheeler Wilcox




These two pictures were taken from a top the rock ledge which borders the spill way.  I wasn't keen to take that path, wary of snakes and sticker burrs, but enjoyed seeing where I more usually walk (over the dam and nearer to the lake) from where I look towards. You can see the natural rock wall in the second snapshot (to the left) but it's harder to notice the sheer drop off to the right.  The color of the dry grass camouflages the fall.  I wonder if arrow heads can be found up here where things are less disturbed.  I appreciated my husband making that walk with me.  Back in the middle of nowhere there was a deer feeder, a motion detector on a fence stake (I think that's what it was), a cammo clothe pup tent and a big white dog sniffing it out.  He was off lead and I just hoped he'd hear the cease and desist tone of my voice.  We walked on without delay.  Bow hunting on the Corp. property is okay in season, setting up a "camp" probably would be discouraged!

Looking forward to planning and shopping for the Thanksgiving meal today.  Cooking is one of my favorite activities.

Also saw these cool things yesterday ... a leaf with branch aspirations and a snail making his way.  I like the story a shadow will tell.



No comments: