The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Blue Bird

Notes from Samuel ... coming up.
Bottom line in chapter 15 ... Saul decided it would be better, more fun maybe, more what he wanted in service to his own particular desires, to keep the king alive as a token of his triumph over the Amalekites (a "type" for sin). The directions were clear even though I can't imagine they would be easy to follow, so, I see that side of the story, but the end result was Saul decided that he knew better then God.  And his knowing better, saving just a smidge of the sin, lead to actions with consequences.  I wonder, if it's possible to step away from the story and just think about it as a tale about choices and where they take one, I wonder if it's really even possible to eradicate "a sin" from one's doings.
It seems like I just really have a lot of excellent reasons for scaling the sin back to something which seems manageable, or acceptable to  ... me.
And then later in the chapter the idea of obedience is better then sacrifice is presented.  I'm thinking about the ultimate consequence of the first disobedience being that one supremely significant sacrifice.  I'm also thinking about how truly difficult it is to turn away from the things that we think may help the bluebird perch on our shoulder ... however briefly.
From reading I Sam. 15 I see a person who wanted to feel better ... and he made some choices to support that, disobedient choices.  It's almost funny to see him rationalizing, shifting blame and maneuvering ... it's mostly tragic though.  I don't think the man Saul had many outstanding days.  And ... it should be easy to learn from his mistakes ... but it isn't easy.  Our "little sacrifices"  ...  cheap little sacrifices when compared to obedience and certainly when imagined in light of Christ's sacrifice (because of disobedience).
Not very good notes, but the best I have time for for now ... I want to remember this idea ... .

No comments: