The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hermann Hesse ... Quotes etc.

"Some of us think holding on makes us strong; 
but sometimes it is letting go."

"I have always believed, and I still believe,
that whatever good or bad fortune may come our way 
we can always give it meaning and transform it into something of value."

"It is not our purpose to become each other;
it is to recognize each other, 
to learn to see the other and honor him for what he is."


"Happiness is a how; not a what. 
A talent, not an object."

"One never reaches home, 
but wherever friendly paths intersect the whole world looks like home for a time."

"There's no reality except the one contained within us. 
That's why so many people live an unreal life. 
They take images outside them for reality and never allow the world within them to assert itself."


"Only the ideas that we really live have any value."

"Within us there is someone who 
knows everything,
 wills everything, 
does everything better than we ourselves."



"The call of death is a call of love. 
Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, 
if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation."

“I have known it for a long time but I have only just experienced it. 
Now I know it not only with my intellect, but with my eyes, with my heart, with my stomach.”

“Solitude is independence.”


"There is good and reason in us, in human beings, with whom fortune plays, and we can be stronger than nature and fate, if only for a few hours. And we can draw close to one another in times of need, understand and love one another, and live to comfort each other. And sometimes, when the black depths are silent, we can do even more."

"Man's life seems to me like a long, weary night that would be intolerable if there were not occasionally flashes of light, the sudden brightness of which is so comforting and wonderful, that the moments of their appearance cancel out and justify the years of darkness."


"I do not consider myself less ignorant than most people. 
I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books; I have begun to listen to the teachings my blood whispers to me. 

My story is not a pleasant one; it is neither sweet nor harmonious, as invented stories are; it has the taste of nonsense and chaos, of madness and dreams — like the lives of all men who stop deceiving themselves.
Each man's life represents the road toward himself, and attempt at such a road, the intimation of a path. 

No man has ever been entirely and completely himself. Yet each one strives to become that — one in an awkward, the other in a more intelligent way, each as best he can."

here and elsewhere



No comments: