The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, April 2, 2015



Chicken with Squash

The chicken is how I frequently prepare it.  Begin with boneless, skinless breasts, cut to bite size pieces and toss them with Italian spices, maybe garlic and onion powder, salt ... and brown them in a little bit of olive oil. I turn the fire down, put a lid on the skillet and let them cook through.  Sometimes a sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese on them once they are on the plate.  Lately, I've been putting a wedge or two of one of the Laughing Cow cheese triangles in the cooler skillet, allowing them to melt and coat the chicken.  That's pretty yummy (and low cal.) too.
On the vegetables I spotted already cut up acorn squash in the vegetable aisle.  That stuff is so hard to cut in two much less cube!  Momma always served it as a holder for butter and brown sugar.  I built on her idea ... so this is acorn squash, zucchini, and onion (Vidalia). I peeled the Zucchini because it had been in the frig while we were on vacation and I wanted to get a good look at it ... still good, and I think it would have been prettier on the plate had the green been on.  To the big chucks I added tiny bits of crystallized ginger, some dried mango (darker orange in the pic) some yellow bell pepper and a Serrano pepper seeds and all ... oh, and two cloves of pressed garlic ... these were cooked in a bit of olive oil as well as the chicken.  After tasting it I added about a tablespoon full of honey.  Quick and easy dinner!  I think walnuts or pumpkin seeds would have added to it.

I'm looking forward to an easy Easter lunch menu ... make in advance style.

No comments: