1. If you want to work effectively, limit yourself to the essential.
2. If you want to concentrate on what is necessary, get your priorities in order.
- what are my values and goals
- what is important to me? What do I love?
- What has the biggest influence on my life?
- What things have the biggest influence in the long term?
- What do I need? What do I desire?
- refine towards what are my main goals?
- Which of my obligations are essential?
- How does where I am currently spending my time support my goals/desires?
- Where do I need to focus my efforts to support my goals/desires?
3. To support your priorities, you must make decisions and hold to them.
4. If you want to change your life you must change what you're doing - build new habits.
- limit yourself to focusing on one habit at a time, consistency is the key to creating new habits.
5. Habits are developed slowly, and reinforced over time.
6. Focus on one success at a time, breaking goals down in to steps.
- setting goals is easy: achieving them is difficult because we have limited energy, focus, and motivation.
7. Stay focused on the current step towards your goal.
- start the day taking care of the most important tasks that support the goal you are currently working towards.
- Don't time share on the task - do what you are doing. That allows us to concentrate on the task which is like meditation, helping us to stay in the "now" and enjoy it.
8. Start every day with the three most important steps.
- We don't do "projects" we do "tasks". Concentrate on that task while you're doing it and limit the time given to that task to no more than 30 minutes at a time. Small time commitments are easier to adhere to on a habitual basis. Tasks support projects, projects move us closer to our goals.
9. Identify and isolate distractions that don't support your goal.