The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, December 23, 2013

before my Notes on Anger

Yesterday's sermon found us hearing about love … especially God's love for us as expressed by the act of offering His son as a sacrifice atoning for the sin which made a relationship impossible … love which reconciles.  Let's see, what was the primary scripture text?  Hmmm, Corinthians …

2 Corinthians 5:21

New International Version (NIV)
21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[a] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
([a] or be a sin offering)

from The Message:
21 How? you ask. In Christ. God put the wrong on him who never did anything wrong, so we could be put right with God.

The sermon, titled: He Comes in Love, was essentially about … the coming of Christ, and was, I thought, a good sermon.  God's immense love for us stuns me.

This time of year, Christmas time, might celebrate that amazing "love"  … but what I am thinking about is anger.  Anger seems to be especially pervasive this time of year.  Maybe it's the high level of stress, anxiety, that seems to be free floating in the air … mingling with weary shoppers and the ever jingling red bucket bell.

People seem to be angry.

I had an uncharacteristic outburst of anger last week.  That's really what is prompting me to think about … what is anger, why is anger, how can it be most appropriately dealt with either before it presents or as it presents … stuff like that.  I think I had "my buttons pushed" and I know I responded in a way I didn't feel good about.  So … what I'm doing is trying to learn a bit about that.  I want to be responsible for thinking and acting as good as I can around anger.

I'm usually very "laid back".  I've noticed that my patience, or tolerance, or what ever it is that runs out right before "anger" is a lot like a runway.  I'm laughing at my analogy even as I am pretty sure it's accurate … Here we have 18/36 … the 36 end is not numbered to indicate orientation to magnetic North, instead it is labeled as "this is really going to piss her off", let's shorten that to PO.  And … "stuff" flys in and lands there all the time with out bothering me at all.  It's a really long runway with plenty of well paved, well lite, well marked exits … there are "indications" that the runway is … running out, but lotsa room for extended roll out.  Then … it stops.  There is a crisp edge. That's the "angry zone". And because I don't have over runs very often … because I am accommodating, I need to work on how I want to respond to "stuff" that doesn't stop in time … before I am POed.

I'm working on it.

No comments: