The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fallen tree at Devil's Tower

In the quiet this morning while I was still half asleep I thought about the "stuff" with my mom.

It seemed to me to be like 
a tree that grew and grew and then fell down
and messed up the garden
just like the trees in the backest part of our back yard
it seemed to me that "forgiving" may be similar to how we chop up those great trees
my husband says he wants to build something from the fallen trees 
he says the wood is "curing"
(and if he does use the wood in time something special may come 
from the tree that a storm blew down)
I have seen fallen trees rotting in the woods on my walks with Sammy
I have poked them with sticks and seen insect infestations
and hollowed out shelters for small forest animals
last winter my husband used the chain saw to cut fire wood from the trunk of one of the trees
several times he built a fire on the root stump and every one enjoyed the heat outside during the cold
the fires inside were the best treats
I cleaned out the ashes several times and used them to nourish the yard
forgiveness may need to be like that
carved out of the great pain in small chunks
used to fuel warmth 
and maybe there will be pieces valuable enough to build something spectacular with
I always regret to see the waste of fallen trees left to rot

No comments: