The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Sunday, May 19, 2013


"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

~ Theodore Roosevelt

This quote with the Ted Talk given by Brené Brown (author of Daring Greatly)
with Rusty's talk to the graduating Seniors tonight ... he mentioned sky diving and Peter walking on water (and faltering ... and that the other guys on the boat watched, spectated)
with idea of fear/vulnerability, and with the idea of living who you really are.

"We cultivate love when we allow our most vulnerable and powerful selves to be deeply seen and known, and when we honor the spiritual connection that grows from that offering with trust, respect, kindness and affection." ~Brené Brown

I'm trying to think about being courageous/strong in general and in specific relationships as well. I've been hearing a lot of talks this past few days where the speaker referenced the Roosevelt quote.  It has captured my attention.  Well, and, it's been a favorite quote for some time now.  I'm thinking about vulnerability packaged with courage.


Today my brother sent a picture of the a woman who he was told was our grandmother, Daddy's mother.  It was the first time I had seen her.  Tommy said, "I found your nose, you got it from her."  I had the opportunity to sit with my niece, his daughter, recently.  I said to her, "You have the same nose as I do.  Thank you for helping me not be the only person I know with this nose." (Not that it's not a perfectly okay nose. I like it well enough.)  She laughed.  It is a little strange to observe similarities, connections, with people you don't really know well.  
Being back in Texas last week felt really good.  I think I have read, but not understood the idea of a sense of place.  






No comments: