The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, June 3, 2013

"If flying were the language of man, Soaring would be its poetry." ~ Anonymous

The un-powered aspect of it is quite lovely. 
I experienced the tow up as like I imagine a luge ride to be. There was significant tiny vibration as the tow line oscillated the nose (my feet on flimsy rudder controls were snugged in the nose. I have "sensitive" feet, they were trying to warn me that something as yet unknown was afoot).  
The glide was absolutely serene.  I was very surprised by the elegance of the experience, it silenced my soul (the only way I can express it ...) Even in very steep banks I felt no Gs. Surprisingly...there wasn't a "rush", handled easily and I found it very responsive to control inputs. It was a near perfect experience for me. Well worth making time for ...
I'll pursue the glider add on and probably the CFIG.

I have learned that there are things we may wish for that we simply can not experience, those things we are tenderly drawn to inside the "ok" zones in life really should be explored because little bits of joy may be found there. 

That's what I think.

And I am thinking of this experience specifically within the context of ... no throttle, none of the somethings responding to power inputs.  I kept it coordinated and sought "lift" while accepting and adjusting for glide.  The instructor said keep it (ASI) between 45 and 50 ... that and keeping the little orange piece of yarn centered was my only duty.  We had no expectations for thermal activity.  I came into it, the flight, mostly curious about the landing phase.  Instructor executed the landing while I went into information collection mode.  The only thing I remember doing other then watching/listening/feeling was removing my feet from the rudder so that I would't inadvertently tweak the controls.  Our final approach speed was at 80KIAS ... oh, I did make all the radio calls once inside the pattern, training kicks in I guess -  the guy not flying is the guy talking.

Nothing tangible,  that I have experienced up to that point  in life prepared me for the simple visceral beauty of un-powered flight.  To soar (maybe next time, oh let it be soon) would be ... a lot of good. It informs me of how I want to feel on the spiritual plane.  I like the things in life that provide a rush, and to comprehend the delicate difference between those things and this thing definitely requires experience with both.  
Yep ... pretty much perfect.  I like it a lot.









No comments: