The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, December 28, 2012

some St. Augustine quotes

My son gave me the copy of St. Augustine's Confessions ... it is a wonderful book which came to me at an excellent time.  It'll take awhile to read ... his way of writing is a different voice then I am used to, and the book offers so many references, I like to chase those rabbits as I go.  There are some wonderfully written books out there ... I like that this one has found me.
And, it's interesting to see the Psalms being read as prayers even so long ago.  It is fascinating to begin to understand how this person, a person, understood words from a book that I try to be familiar with.  And I see that the translations he used are different enough to make  difference.  I would like to know as close to what was originally conveyed as possible.  I understand that a lot has been lost to time and probably it's true that time has gifted us with richer perspective ... we make of it as best as we might.

Here are some quotes ... not especially from the book because I haven't read the whole piece yet and I'm sure I'll read it several times before I chose what is most meaningful to me. I do like these quotes though ...

"Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others.

Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering.

What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like.

Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul. 

Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance.

He who created us without our help will not save us without our consent.

Don't you believe that there is in man a deep so profound as to be hidden even to him in whom it is? 

Hear the other side.

Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand.

Thou must be emptied of that wherewith thou art full, that thou mayest be filled with that whereof thou art empty. 

Thou hast created us for Thyself, and our heart is not quiet until it rests in Thee.

God judged it better to bring good out of evil than to suffer no evil to exist."

No comments: