The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, March 4, 2013

"If nothing saves us from death, may love at least save us from life." - Pablo Neruda
Maybe it's the age I am at ...
everywhere I look I see people "tending" as best they can
to
their elderly people.

This past year I stood many times near the open earth
thinking about the dust we are

and the inanimate dust we lay down in to,

I am not dismayed by the poetry of it ...
He knows we are but dust
I do not find that difficult to accept
it helps me
and ... it helps me to tend to my elderly people.

My momma still recognizes my voice when I call her ... or maybe it's just that I have a feminine voice that says "Momma?" or more often, "Momma, it's DeAnn ... ".
I could call her every hour on the hour and she wouldn't remember the earlier conversation. 
I am prepared for the time coming (I know) when she won't remember me at all ... and the truth is, for her I am easy to forget as it has always been so.
She wants me to know that she can still drive
and she wants me to know that no-one will be in control of her.
Yes, I remember, that was Momma101, my mother in a nutshell: she is in control.

I thought, or maybe it was hope ... uh, wistfulness ...
that she would mellow out as her capabilities melted.
I thought she just might age well.
I know she has largely lost her way and not found another way ...
she is in the weeds
we have been tending a garden for her but she can't find her way out of the weeds.

I extend my hand to her, but her hand doesn't know gentle
she slams down the phone more often then not
because she can't reach me.



My brother is working very hard to provide the very best situation for our mother.  She thwarts him at every turn.  It seems like a game to her, but I recognize it as a way of life.  Her "craftiness" has made it possible for her to remain largely "independent" but the cost of it is awful, and payment is coming due.  "Just wait 'til you're in this situation ... you'll know exactly how this feels!  You think you know what's best for me!"  She screams it through the phone and I close my eyes seeing her ... rage ... fear ... her lost in the weeds-ness.  I understand how she got there.  I get it.


I saw a wonderful video the other day.  People were jumping off a cliff and swinging down in to a canyon.  Perfect.  Every little bit of me smiled to see that, and it calls to me.  I want to do that too.  And I wonder ... what makes something like that possible for one person, impossible to another?  That night, after enjoying the video, I dreamed I was diving in to the deep.  In the dream I was telling myself to stretch my hands towards the water, and as dreams allow one to do, I had a few do overs as I aligned my body to follow those outstretched hands.  It was something like jumping off of a cliff might be ... intentionally falling in to the deep unknown.  I like the feeling of it.  I like the ... trust of it.  

I am wondering about CONTROL.  What drives a person to pursue control for controls sake?  And ... gosh, the price that is exacted by the controller on themselves and on the controlled ... it's such a waste because nothing is gained by anyone caught in the circle.  Nothing.  It only takes away ... and takes one away.  It may be the very saddest of human conditions.  
I recounted to my husband this thing my mom had about being in the water ... wading, swimming ... boating.  Any water event (Daddy teased that 3" of bathwater was almost more then enough with Momma ... he was always trying to coax her towards the surf.)  She says she nearly drowned at her HS graduation party because she went out into the Gulf, fell in to a hole (or somehow got sucked in to a hole) and someone who was with her was standing on her shoulders holding her under (yes ... in the hole along the shoreline).  As a child that story rounded my eyes in wonder and maybe in fear ... my Dad insisted that we were all going to be strong swimmers (thanks for that gift, btw).  My brothers and I have collected many of the fondest memories right there in or near the water.  And ... water things are one of my strongest metaphoric reference points ... and also where I feel best in general.  Later in life the story of the drowning hole/person standing on my shoulders seemed less and less likely an actual event, but I accept the reality of my mom's fears and what is represented there ... .  The part of me that hears her calling warnings (and threats of punishment) from the shoreline also recognizes that she  did ultimately have to let us go in knowing that deeper and deeper was farther and farther away from what/where she would prefer for us.  I think maybe being raised by a mom who adamantly refused to loosen control shaped me in to someone who could laugh as I stepped off the edge.  She definitely helped build a swimmer ... . Maybe I was a bit reckless with myself when I was younger, and maybe some of the places I jumped/swam/flew myself to were not where I should have best been.  Mostly I would say I learned the crucial lessons of self-control ... and the painful lessons of thinking that demonstrating trust was about letting someone else be in control.  

I would like so much for her to trust herself to our best intentions for her.  Never to control her as she most fears, but to guide her towards the garden that her old-age could be.  Today ... this very day as my brother coaxes her towards signing the power of attorney papers which are a requirement of caring for her, I wish she could gentle herself towards trusting someone trustworthy.  I wish she could feel as safe as she truly is to accept a helping hand.  Oh, it could be so much easier for her ... so pleasant.  My brother says, don't call her ... it only causes you grief and she doesn't even benefit at your expense.  She doesn't remember me because she never could see me ... she continues to see only pieces of herself.  She just wasn't able.  I hoped she would forget that about herself.

2 comments:

gretchenjoanna said...

This is so sad, I hardly know what to say.... Just last night I stayed up late with my housemate as she related all the heartaches stemming from a mother who hasn't grown up enough to grow out of her self-centeredness; the young daughter always ends up "counseling" the mother about her problems. So many of us have lacked good models in our mothers, and missed the nurturing that they couldn't give. In your case, unhealthy fear and control stood in for nurture - except that they couldn't. Glory to God that you (as far as I can tell from your blog :-)) grew up!

But I know that I never get over not having the mother I felt I needed. Maybe I didn't notice needing her when I was first spreading my wings in the world, but when I was raising children and learning to be a wife, wouldn't it have been lovely to have her for a trusted friend, the way I have been to my daughters? The song, "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child," has often run through my head and my heart.

DeAnn said...

I am sorry that this had made you sad.

I had a dad. He was good at parenting and later seemed more like a trusted friend. He passed my Junior year in college but honestly, I still know what he would say if I could talk with him. How fortunate to have some frame of reference for how God loves us.
There have been times (like long periods of time) when I felt somehow slighted by the "mom" I drew. I know many of my strengths were cultivated in response to her struggles. I don't know how she became who she was. I can say she had "a broken wing". My husband and I were taking just yesterday about the early imprints a mother leaves on a child's personality. I was afraid of my mother and I felt that she was not pleased with me. Having raised five of my own, the one mistake I'm sure I didn't make was ever making them think my love for them was conditional. Gretchen, I think my mom had some clinical issues that were never addressed. I think she carried scares from her own childhood that never healed. I told my husband that at some point in my growing up years I thought about how unkind it would be to expect a Down's syndrome child to be the star of the baseball team. Could he be expected to knock the ball out of the park when it was his turn at bat? Wouldn't it be all kinds of wrong to expect a person to exhibit a gift that they were not gifted with? I had thought my mother was withholding ... love ... or any number of qualities that it seemed came abundantly to other moms. I came to realize that she just didn't have ... some things to offer. She was unable because those qualities were somehow not a part of her nature. You can't pour water from a pitcher you don't have to hold. I have missed the nurturing she couldn't give.
I think it is vitally important that a woman have a close relationship with a woman wise enough to provide mentoring, an older friend. I have always looked for older women whom I could admire. When I was raising children, I looked for older mothers who seemed to enjoy parenting and had apparent successes. Now I look for older women who look happy and engaged. A lot of older women seem pretty grumpy! I'd like to learn any secrets to aging well that I can! It seems equally important to me to have a close younger friend. I can offer them support with my life experiences and they challenge me with fresh perspectives. One of my closest friends is twenty years younger than I. I can talk to her about anything.
I don't know how God makes things right but He does seem to. I didn't learn "family" skills from my momma, but somehow I have managed to find my way into loving supportive sweet relationships with each of my children. I feel blessed.
There are a lot of women (people) who are self centered. Someone described them as emotional vampires. It's difficult to know how to act lovingly towards manipulative people.