The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, March 21, 2013

in the minds of those that give them their lives ..



Dawn
21 March 13

Some how I am a bit too swamped to note my thoughts, so ... just a quick note this morning.

The other day on Improved Clinch I read a provocative comment which may be summarized by the commenter's closing line: "See, my life is already pretty full and I don’t have time for other people’s nonsensical issues, like presidents and such, so I just ignore them and avoid them and they only exist in the minds of those that give them their lives, rent free."
I particularly like the comment and I think it stands on its own well ... in the context of where my mind most wanders to when given free reign.  I believe in deciding for myself what I believe.  I believe it is my obligation to myself, a thank you note in a way, for the gift of my life, to live it as authentically "me" as I might.  And by that I mean ... think/feel/live to my capacity without striving to impress other's.  Maybe that means I don't really care what you think.  Boy, this could sound really bad ... I care what you (the yous around me) think, but it seems important to me to recognize that I ascribe significance to stuff rather then blindly accept whatever the larger or smaller society want to dictate.  I get to decide what matters to me ... and how I want to respond to it.

One of my buddies has a habit of chronically complaining.  He notices that I don't spend much time on little things (I decide they are little things and swish them away causally as a horse does with his tail ... everyone's life is swarmed with little things) ... he asked and I told him ... I think it's extremely important to focus your time/efforts not on small things.  We really have a couple of commodities to play with in my opinion, time (which comes without any guarantees) and this ...

The Last Freedom
We who lived in concentration camps can remember
the men who walked through the huts comforting
others, giving away their last piece of bread.
They may have been few in number, but they offer
sufficient proof that everything can be taken from
a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms
-- to choose one's attitude in any given set of
circumstances, to choose one's own way.
  ~ Viktor Frankl 

“Whatever the sentence Your Worship sees fit to impose upon me for the crime for which I have been convicted before this court may it rest assured that when my sentence has been completed, I will still be moved as men are always moved, by their conscience." ~Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela


 ... unknown amount of time to be spent, the necessity to consciously choose one's attitude, one's own way of responding to life, and it seems to me that both of those may be best guided by our conscience.  I believe we answer for ourselves (and just to note here, I think we are largely unaware of one another's "burdens" and limitations)

("This is a very sensitive matter, highly personal, and you will appreciate it if I don't make any comment." ~Mandela ... saw while looking for the above quote.  Great way to say that.)

and that set of thoughts with this ... Fantasy.  

fan·ta·sy  

/ˈfantəsē/

Noun
The faculty or activity of imagining things that are impossible or improbable.
Verb
Imagine the occurrence of; fantasize about.

A strong Addiction usually with something that is not real and probably will never be.
Reality sucks. I much rather live in a fantasy. ~Urban Dictionary

Why would anyone want to conduct a "real" life or even significant aspects of their life in  fantasy land?

I know we ascribe significance as we see fit, and I appreciate that, but I love the idea of holding on to what is real.  Last night I began to learn a bit about the Fantasy Prone Personality.  I do understand how something which is "fantasy" can seem "real"  or at least momentarily real.  I just think we cheat ourselves when we duck out on reality.  Anyway, I'm thinking about some of that stuff.  And it's not as straight forward as one may wish it to be (lol).  What's real is dynamic ... fantasies seem to me to be "stuck".


No comments: