The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, March 28, 2013

via PINTEREST

Still looking at Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. [via http://archive.org] I love that it is not about the concentration camp experience exactly, rather his thinking transcends the "predicament" and moves towards what I label as "significance assigned or inferred".  Not to diminish in any way the horrors of _________, I appreciate a mind/soul who survives to share something greater then the justifiable bitterness that such an experience would arouse.  So ... these people who tell us of their "take away" from time spent in hell (rather then a guided tour through their hell) ... I am impressed by these people.  It is as I noted years ago ... they came through the fire, but their garments (the earth-suit and soul) are not singed, indeed they do not even smell of smoke.  And ... it is meaningful to me because I believe that each of us spends time in our own very private hell.  Life has hellish moments which may sear a soul ... or not.  No one would choose suffering, but ... it does provide a vehicle towards ... growth, soul growth.  Viktor ... excellent example of victim -> victor.  He did the "ride" without discussing the cost.
So ... I am spending my quiet time with Dr. Frankl ... he graciously informs me.

One of the ideas expressed in the book is the necessity for personal meaning ... uh, why am I here, yes ... both big and small.  We need to accomplish "tasks," reach or at least aim for higher goals to truly live.  I love to tackle things.  Last night I mentioned to my husband that I feel as though I am nickel and dime-ing my time away.  Lotsa little jobs for a mom to do, which I am very happy to do, just ... there is very little satisfaction there.  Maybe the soup pot of me is on simmer ... .

Frankl does has an interesting look at fantasy.  He "talks to his wife" as he toils, he imagines simple delights, like walking into his home and flipping on the light switch.  So ... I'm thinking about the positive applications of fantasy lately.  The book came at a good time in aid of that vein of thought.  Last night ... I dreamed I was seeing Hawaii.  I've never been there, but I guess I was reviewing images of Hawaii as I rested.  It smells very nice there and I noticed the greenness of the place seems to pervade the air ... maybe the color is multiplied by the humidity.  I also noticed the "lines" of Hawaii are different then most places ... I saw the geography as winding and sensuous.  I think I would very much like seeing Hawaii for real ... slowing, as in a glider of some sort.  A fantasy... .

This summer I will begin to learn about the traditional Hawaiian Cuisine.  Cooking, I absolutely can do.

The other truly delightful dream I remember from last night ... a strong man gave me a big red foam glove which held my hand in a certain position making it possible for me to do one handed cart-wheels.  At first he held me and ran with me in his grip, basically hurling me into a flip which when I instinctively reached to break my spill, wonderfully resulted in a cart-wheel.  Oh, it was so much fun.  I asked for assistance in the dream again and again until finally, I was able to chance vaulting myself.  Upside down is a lot of fun.  I woke up very happy ... giggly, which is rare for me (the giggly part).

Pic to remind me of to "recipe" ... this was a dinner everyone enjoyed:  Meatloaf with sweet potatoes
And ... I found a new project chair (This one I promise to sell if one of the kids doesn't absolutely love the finished product.  I am going to inlay turquoise into the details and repair/upholster it properly ... poor little mess!)



No comments: