The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

glove casts for the astronauts


Voyager picture of Jupiter's great red spot

via Tumblr


Quick notes ... sun is shining and there is more then enough to do.  Summer is a busier then it maybe should be time for me.

The book I am currently reading, Why Does It Have To Hurt (Dan G. McCartney), found it's own way to me.  The next book I'll look at is titled 7 ... here:
7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess
While working with the Korean women I really began to think about how excess shapes/has shaped my life.  Well, I don't really want to talk about this today (no time), but I helped my Mom situate a lot of clothes that she will never wear again in to space that seemed to be needed for other things and ... I have shrunk out of every garment in my own closet and find myself slowly replacing mostly everything ... and H and I were recently talking about how people really prefer to eat only a handful of favorite items ... and she mentioned this book.  In visiting with a couple of other friends I found that they also had read this book.  Sounds interesting ... next.
I could easily do life with only 7 garments of outerwear ... just leave my shoes alone ... and that's per season right? lol.
If I were choosing right now ...
1. blue jeans
2. natural linen slacks
3. black skirt
4. black t
5. black tank
6. long sleeve (french cuff) white button front blouse
7. It's a dress and for right now I'd have to say the creamy lace dress I bought on sale at The Loft ... one dress would be difficult to single out!

I'm saving up for the blouse right now ... tried it on this weekend and have found the pricing is much better on-line (but you gotta buy two ... I could need two ; )


Running shorts would be nice ... but I can't see what I'd cut from that list to include shorts or leggings.

Time is short ... some notes on that book (taken during Sunday School):
Job's situation seemed to be about so that the works of God may be displayed in him, rather then as a consequence of his actions (punishment).
Sometimes suffering is a consequence of sin though.

Whatever the cause, people respond to suffering in lots of different ways ... 
some with hope
maybe suffering leads to self-examination (conviction) and repentance
maybe we resist/avoid looking at our wrong (maybe we rationalize our wrong)
maybe we lean towards showing compassion for another who suffers (from their own poor choice, or chance, or circumstance ... )

"punishment" is not synonymous with suffering (anybody who has helped raise a child knows that I'm thinking) ... suffering might best be seen not retribution, but instruction.  Suffering may be seen to re-mediate.
Suffering without aid of Holy Spirit tends to harden and embitter a person, for a believer suffering may actually enhance one's relationship with God.  (I think there is a delicate balance in an idea or statement like that ... there is context that I'm not filling in.)  It would be unwise to shrug off discipline if you accept it as God "educating" you, enabling you towards spiritual peacefulness.
Then on to one of my favorite passages: Romans 5:1-8 (NIV)

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a]have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

suffering produces perseverance
perseverance -> character
character -> hope

And hope is good.

"Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world." C.S.Lewis

and this:
"...suffering so unbolts the door of the heart that the word hath easier entrance." Richard Baxter (books.google.com- The Saint's Everlasting Rest...)

homeWORK:
 "God, how are you using suffering to grow me towards you?"

No comments: