The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Landed ... intended to touch and go, but a line of heavy rain hit the other end of my runway about the same time I was cleared to land ... ATC gave me the option and I opted to let 'er pass.  Thought to wait a few minutes, maybe get out on a different runway ... ended up waiting for a while. What's forecast and what actually happens are sometimes very different.  It turned out to be a great day for me.  Enjoyed the hospitality offered at BHM, and I learned, among other more important things, that next time I blow out birthday candles I will wish for dreams that smell like CJ leather.  There is something simply very right about airplanes "hugged" by the scent of leather.

That silliness directed me to thinking about other dreams ... real dreams, the sort one has when the body sleeps and the soul is free to ramble towards unveiling the cloud of confusion in which we sometimes seem to operate ... 'least I know I do.  I thought about that during instrument training, that we learn to develop and lean on some internal source when stuff around us seems ... ummm, not right, incomprehensible maybe ... places where we find ourselves in the weeds.  I remembered airplane dreams, and thought to look back at my notes for what I missed or didn't understand when I made notes on a specific dream a few years back.  Also ... looking forward to some instrument proficiency work and learning how to use some new equipment ... . I'll benefit as a pilot (also, and more importantly, as a soul learning spiritual things).



"Dream lofty dreams, and as you dream, so shall you become. Your vision is the promise of what you shall one day be; your ideal is the prophecy of what you shall at last unveil.  ~ James Allen

"You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you." ~ James Allen


Foreword
THIS little volume (the result of meditation and experience) is not intended as an exhaustive treatise on the much-written-upon subject of the power of thought. It is suggestive rather than explanatory, its object being to stimulate men and women to the discovery and perception of the truth that—
"They themselves are makers of themselves."
by virtue of the thoughts, which they choose and encourage; that mind is the master-weaver, both of the inner garment of character and the outer garment of circumstance, and that, as they may have hitherto woven in ignorance and pain they may now weave in enlightenment and happiness.
JAMES ALLEN. (As a Man Thinketh, written by James Allen, 1902)



"The Vision that you glorify in your mind, the Ideal that you enthrone in your heart—this you will build your life by, this you will become." ~ James Allen

I haven't thought of this book in a long time.  L is reading it and shared a couple of quotes from Allen which he knew I would appreciate.

I know the dream quote, first one above, uses the word dream in the context of a plan, or goal, a desirable outcome, but what is a sleeping dream remembered if not a glimpse of something the soul longs for?  In the specific dream I am remembering I flew, with the help of another, to a peaceful place.  I have visited there in other dreams since. 


A couple more thoughts from Allen (pulled out of context, but I think they stand well, even alone):



"CALMNESS of mind is one of the beautiful jewels of wisdom. It is the result of long and patient effort in self-control." ~ James Allen  


"The greatest achievement was at first and for a time a dream. The oak sleeps in the acorn; the bird waits in the egg; and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities.

Your circumstances may be uncongenial, but they shall not long remain so if you but perceive an Ideal and strive to reach it. You cannot travel within and stand still without."  ~ James Allen

Sometimes (I think) actual experiences and even dreams may become metaphors for the inner doings of  a soul.  For me, at least, it is sometimes easier to think of my actual day to day challenges and opportunities for growth, as well, as how I would ideally to handle a crisis in an airplane for example.  Maybe trading real experiences for simulated experiences where the "script" can be thoughtfully edited and then re-applied to the actual event from which the metaphor was constructed.  As this:


I imagine I am co-pilot on a flight which is flown by the captain right in to an embedded mess and everything goes biserko in an instant.  I saw that the circumstances were "right" for such an event to happen but was as unable, as a passenger on such a flight would be, to positively effect a change. ... some thing like that, a senario developed to fit a set of events which are real, but too much to decipher because they are so central in one's life. 

Or this; I recently heard a pilot talking to a group of pilots about the recent Asiana Airlines flt 214 (not this guy, writer of the story I linked, he actually sounds like he's thinking about it ... ) crash.  As he (pilot guy) speculated I thought one can never really know what happens in a setting where we didn't actively participate ... we see results and build senarios  ... and without much thought arrive at the idea that it would never happen to us/with us present.
What I am suggesting for myself is ... in fact  I may find comparable, yet non-aviation specific, events in my very own little life.  Rather then working through the hows and what-ifs of someone else's tragedy, I might actually benefit from a thoughtful look at in this case, an actual, or in other cases, a dreamed-up, senario based learning experience. And if I able, I might ask a Captain that I respected, what S/he would do ... and glean from their experience/training a better path for myself.





No comments: