The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pine Hill Lantern tour

First Friday night in a long time that we haven't seen a movie. Instead, we went to a cemetery and casually strolled the grounds by candlelight with a bunch of other people. Ummm, sorta weird. I've never been in a cemetery at night. This is an actual event here in town, put on by the historical society. There were period characters who stood on the graves of past denizens of society and told vignettes of their lives ... It was actually kinda cool. Candle lanterns lined the path and a breeze was blowing under a bright Southern sky. It was very interesting to see our town from a historical perspective. It was a three hour walk around six acres of a cemetery I have driven by without a passing thought for the last twenty years. I can see how it would be very nice to grow up and spend ones life rooted to a place. Many of the actors were fifth and sixth generation in the direct line from the person they were speaking for.
We bought a home owned previously by one of the founding families ... not a historical home, just one that one built by a son of a founder. They keep up with things like that around here ... I just liked the very old brick which was re-used when this house was built, the wood floors throughout, and one of the prettiest yard I had ever seen. We're in a part of town were every little blow knocks the power out for a few hours, but it's worth it to me to live under the trees. We were the young family in this old neighborhood, and those very old women really were gracious towards me even though I didn't understand why DAR was such a big whoop. One of my neighbors swears that a particular piece of furniture in her home came over with the family on the MayFlower ... Surely she meant Mayflower moving company ... Everybody plays along, they've got their own big whoopers! One lady spent thirty minutes detailing the family history behind a silver goblet set which she was serving mint juleps in ... Her husband returned to the room and answered my compliment on the silver by flatly stating they had purchased it at an estate sale just last week and the Mrs. planned this little party around mint juleps. She had just finished schooling me on how to hold the cup ... And showing me the wear marks inside her grandpa's particular favorite sippers. I laughed out loud ... too funny. Now I see how important it was to her and I know I woulda jokingly scolded him for being such a kidder. I do not like bourbon. Scotch, definitely. Bourbon ... Bleah!

No comments: