The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Just ramblings ...

Gosh, it's hard to believe that September is almost past!  I couldn't sleep last night and stayed up re-reading ... Lewis' chapter on Charity, the summation of his book Four Loves.  Good thinking going on there I think and I'm trying to let his ideas settle a bit so I can brief them for myself.  I like the way he thinks and writes.  I like him.  After trying to think with Lewis, I enjoyed a little jumpseat flying with a hotshot rightseater via Captain Dave's latest post.  I wonder if he could possibly fly as well as he story tells.  Whatever ... late night reading dissolved in to a wonderful night's sleep of sweet dreams (on the Riverwalk in San Antonio of all places!  I really want to dream about hang gliding in Rio!)
I have on my list to read now ... The Great Divorce (Lewis), a couple of books by George MacDonald (haven't decided which two yet ... because of this:

"Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train station bookstall, I began to read. A few hours later," said C.S.Lewis, "I knew I had crossed a great frontier."

I will definitely be reading Phantastes, I believe the frontier Lewis is alluding to is the grey area between Atheism and Christianity.  I'm guessing the book rocks.) The other book is in the house now, a book on "LOVE" from a scientific slant ... at least a social science, my daughter recommends it.  I think she wonders what qualifies the writer of Christian literature to write on love.  Not in a negative way, she thinks of Lewis as the writer of The Chronicles of Narnia.  Lewis talks a bit about a higher love as something we can't quite see, but by which we see.  I think James Turrell is expressing something related to this with his work ... he strives to capture a "light experience" from celestial phenomena.  He and Lewis have in common the idea that we tend to think of light as some to see by rather then seeing the light itself. Well, I'm rambling ... because I am thinking about mankind in general as having been originally created as vessels for holding light ... the light of the world, Christ.
And I am thinking about the name Lucifer ... 

is the King James Version rendering of the Hebrew word הֵילֵל in Isaiah 14:12. This word, transliterated hêlēl or heylel, occurs only once in the Hebrew Bible and according to Strong's Concordance means "shining one, morning star, Lucifer". [1] The word Lucifer is taken from the Latin Vulgate,[2]which translates הֵילֵל as lucifer,[3][4] meaning "the morning star, the planet Venus" (or, as an adjective, "light-bringing"),[5] The Septuagint renders הֵילֵל in Greek as ἑωσφόρος[6][7] (heōsphoros)[8][9][10] meaning "morning star".[11] Kaufmann Kohler says that the Greek Septuagint translation is "Phosphoros". ~Wikipedia (thanks)

he was known as Lucifer before he chose a different path for himself.  Phosphoros sounds pretty hell and brimstone -esque.

phosphorous ... Phosphorus was the 13th element to be discovered. For this reason, and also due to its use in explosives, poisons and nerve agents, it is sometimes referred to as "the Devil's element".

lol ... what a rabbit's hole!  I gotta get busy!


... and the book Two recommends to compliment Lewis' Four Loves ... Hold Me Tight (Dr. Sue Johnson),  interesting book. Great addition to my research on Love.

No comments: