The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

random stuff from around now ...

Stair riser chevron ... If you're thinking about doing this ... I have a few tips:
1. Don't.
Yeah, that's the tip ... it's freaking crazy to sit on a step applying "interest" to the stair risers.  My back ... hates me.
If you simply must have chevron risers (as I still believe I must ... and you are borderline OCD about perfect edges as I must be) ... find wall paper in a nice chevron pattern.  Yep ... wall paper is the ticket, no doubt.  It remains to be seen if I don't wind up rerouting my plan A for wall paper.  Surely it can be found, and ... when I have time to relax tonight, I'm going to shop on line for some.
here is where I am at ... I did the work on the top two today and by that I mean several hours worth of measuring, cutting, peeling (the worse part if you can believe it) the backing away from the black contact vinyl. Obviously, there is some tweaking yet to be done. I think I have 8 more plus the finish up on these already begun.  Then ... the bannister will come down for a refinish and just a bit more painting behind the banister ... over the years I have learned that it is just easiest to loosen or remove stuff that you don't want paint on away from the surfuce you're painting.
Someone recommended a stencil for this effect ... and I think that idea has potential.  My house is old and not exactly "plumb".  As I've worked on interior finishes over the years, I've noticed that houses simply aren't reliably "square".  Also ... in my case, these were milled "less then" we have come to expect in newer buildings.  The actual wood is magnificent ... densely  grained, heavy ... real, real wood ... bit of a love/hate thing!
Someone suggested using a 2" painters tape to mask the white and then brushing on black paint. I don't think I know enough bad words to express how truly mind bending that would be for me ... how would I get my perfect 90 degree turns on each end?
My daughter suggested an "algorithm" ... and honestly, I had to look the word up ... I made a template. It helps.
So ... I listened to my documentary ... and later to Norah singing her mournful little songs ... sounds nice in the stair well ... and I stocked up on Advil ... bet there are easier ways!
Next ... hummus cups ...
super easy and very festive ... One of the kids had a thing last night so I made these in support of that. Cucumber peeled with zester then peeler, cut on diagonal (maybe it's the chevron thing) melon baller scooped out seeds ... piped Publix hummus in and garnished.  The girls loved them ... big hit.  It's good when yummy can also look pretty I think.
And this ...
D texted this photo of her door wreath ... I think it's just perfect ... she said she will add a bird, or some antlers ... ummm, not like the kind that are trophy style ... loose ones.  Gorgeous.  Fall ... bonfires, football ... sweaters, soups, lower AC bill ... good stuff.
And, an interesting thought ... 
I think I have found that to be true. 
Maybe it's more like integrating the mind with the soul ... not an entirely silent mind, but ... interesting thought, I think.  This quieter couple of years has been great for me.   Sometimes I think you just have to hold on as best you can 'til you can quietly figure out what to do ... and ... somethings really aren't thinking things, but they might be thoughtfully packaged.

3 comments:

Dean said...

Love this quote!

DeAnn said...

Me too ... Hey, you can be silent while rebuilding an airplane. Proved that out earlier this morning when I hammered my thumb while hanging a sheet rock patch ... Lol.

Dean said...

Hey DeAnn, working quietly comes with experience...you learn things like if I push on this wrench and it slips off it's gonna hurt, so you reposition and no curse words. I love watching the newer guys learn these things. Another good one that I see daily is walking through the hanger looking at their phone and BAM!!! You know those Cessna ailerons leave a perfect diamond on your forehead...experience talking here!! I have the scars to prove all of it....I bet you focus next time you swing that hammer!