The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Colder weather is my favorite ... I'll say that for a few more days (but the truth is I am a summer kinda girl). I love to put a favorite quilt under the down comforter and snuggle in as though in a cloud ... or how I like to think about clouds (when I'm just laying around ... not flying)... more like feathery nests not like they really are. Last night I woke up several times ... I'm a light sleeper. I reached under my pillows and smiled to myself.

My granny slept with a beautiful little revolver under her pillow ... until it wasn't allowed in assisted living. She said that really took some getting used to. How did that little gun make her feel? She raised her children largely without the benefit of their father ... Granny was a hard worker. Starting in about third grade I would spent the best part of every summer with her. She let me sit up with her in the middle of the night drinking hot sweet coffee and talking softly about the day and my dreams for future days. Hmmm I hadn't thought about that in forever. She had a secret vice ... she liked Frito's with melted Hershey's Chocolate bars ... during the summers I liked them too. She had a plant nursery. And parakeets. And her spoiled little dog - FiFi (I promise). I always feel happy when I think of my granny. I thought of her last night when I reached under my pillows.

That's where I keep my phone at night.
"I put a piece of paper under my pillow, and when I could not sleep I wrote in the dark." ~ Thoreau
I put an iPhone under my pillow, and when I could not sleep I read in the dark. Isn't that silly? Hope no one is rolling over in their grave.

What did she think about when she reached for that gun in the dark? Whatever it was I know she'd be so happy that I have the luxury of being able to think about silly things like clouds that look like a herd of wild horses running towards the sun.

No comments: