The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, December 3, 2010

Today was a long day. I spent the bulk of it getting grades in and preparing endorsements for my ground school students. One guy was out sick last night and he finally finished the make up today around 5:30. Last grade in. Boy, was I ready to call it a day.
The morning began with the executive assistant ... I call her that because I don't know what to call her ... well I know what to call her, but it's not nice enough and it makes me feel bad that I think of her as such ... so ... with the executive assistant trying to push me around (just because she likes to ... just because she is a meangirl). And for once rather then ignore it, or do a work around, I said you really don't need to assert yourself with me ... you don't need to protect your turf or whatever that meanness is about, because I don't want anything that's yours ... and really, the bright spot in winding down this semester is I won't have to work with you anymore. She didn't take that well. So what ... I have been unfailingly courteous with her over the years and it has just made her worse. I know I don't want to piss the bosses off , but as I told her today, she is not a boss ... I don't really want to talk about this, because it's just tedious and really ... stupid. Sometimes being nicejust makes things worse ... like this. I just don't care enough about this situation or person to try. It is interesting to me that in this case, I just really don't care ... I am noting this because of the novelty. I can't remember feeling quite like this ever before. I said what needed to be said, without going too far, and I said it calmly and with authority. I said stop it. Good for me. I am learning. I don't need to remember the specifics of this conversation ... what I do want to think about in a generic way is: One - how it feels to not care (and it doesn't feel like anything ... it feels like a non event)and two - that, rather then try to manipulate (yeah that's really what it is) someone in to better behavior I just said ... cut it out. She actually called a student worker in to take her place, and she left for the day. And rather then wonder about it I was just glad that I wouldn't have to mess with her ... and I dismissed it entirely until now. It blows me away that anyone would be so ... what? I don't know the word. It exasperates. It is beyond silly.

No comments: