The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, January 7, 2013

Resting ~CoryVarcoe 

The photo is titled ... Resting ... hmmm.  
What I see is a  the decaying structure of a little boat, moored ... forgotten? forsaken? in the middle of  lifeless grey nowhere ... with a  four stroke outboard's tiller extension reaching for the light .  It's weird.  In just a minute the engine will slide almost soundlessly under the surface, air bubbles, one big surrounded by smaller ones will signal the shrugging of the shroud as it settles into complete decline ... fuel and oil may filter up iridescent, I think it's sort of pretty, but it is really just gunk ... gunk floating on the surface hinting at what might have been.  And ... how far out will the ripple rings radiate before they are no more? Eventually the boat will rest its way ... away, apart ... one weary bit at a time.  I think it is a wooden vessel.  I think the top most pieces, already falling apart, will drop off.  As dead as the water seems to be there in the lifeless grey nowhere I think the bits of boat will just stay right about there, with very little floating away ...  a reminder of something that came from somewhere else, a conveyance ... completely worn out. The story of a boat is about who steps in ... and the journey. 
Resting.


Today is the first day in a couple of weeks that the house has been early morning quiet.  
I think I am a bit like this boat ... a simple little thing ... just slightly overpowered for the tasks close at hand I feel the engine gently rocking loose ... maybe there are paddles ... paddles for later.  The boat seems to be securely tied to ... what and why I can not tell.  I think ... the boat looks abandoned but maybe the someone is sunning, or snoozing ... resting in the hull.  Hull...
  1. The main body of a ship or other vessel, including the bottom, sides, and deck but not the masts, superstructure, rigging, engines, and...
  2. The outer covering of a fruit or seed, esp. the pod of peas and beans, or the husk of grain
Not much of a boat left there ...

My daughter doesn't think that's a very good picture of me that I selected to post the other day ... I actually took it down then decided to re-post it.  Yes, I do see what she sees.  Well ... maybe I don't see what she sees, but I do see that I look ... tired and that my smile is forced.  That happens a lot in the pictures I see of myself.  I see myself choosing to smile.  

I'm trying to decide what is best for me to do. Today ... I could and should, probably will spend the day cleaning up all the messes left.  It's not that I don't get any help around here, someone folded a load of towels last night and I notice they are exactly how I like them done (hotel style) ... they are stacked on back of one of the couches ... I probably know who did that (diet coke bottle near by). 

Pastor drew on this quote yesterday; "Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God. It is the quickening of conscience by His holiness, nourishment of mind by His truth, purifying of imagination by His beauty, opening of the heart to His love, and submission of will to His purpose. All this gathered up in adoration is the greatest of all expressions of which we are capable." --William Temple 

He refered also to Alistair Begg  I'm going to listen to his sermons ... I've heard one - interesting how he puts it together ... and his scottish accent is easy on my ears.  I'm listening to his talk entitled Now We Really Live (Belief and Behavior).


No comments: