The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Abide ... abiding ... good words

~ from Alabama Chanin



Alistair Begg's notes for the day:

Salvation belongs to the Lord!

Jonah 2:9 
Salvation is the work of God. It is He alone who quickens the soul "dead in...trespasses and sins,"1 and He it is who maintains the soul in its spiritual life. He is both "Alpha and Omega."

"Salvation belongs to the LORD!" If I am prayerful, God makes me prayerful; if I have graces, they are God's gifts to me; if I hold on in a consistent life, it is because He upholds me with His hand. I do nothing whatever toward my own preservation, except what God Himself first does in me. Whatever I have, all my goodness is of the Lord alone. Whenever I sin, that is my own doing; but when I act correctly, that is wholly and completely of God. If I have resisted a spiritual enemy, the Lord's strength nerved my arm.

Do I live before men a consecrated life? It is not I, but Christ who lives in me. Am I sanctified? I did not cleanse myself: God's Holy Spirit sanctifies me. Am I separated from the world? I am separated by God's chastisements sanctified to my good. Do I grow in knowledge? The great Instructor teaches me. All my jewels were fashioned by heavenly art. I find in God all that I want; but I find in myself nothing but sin and misery. "He only is my rock and my salvation."
Do I feed on the Word? That Word would be no food for me unless the Lord made it food for my soul and helped me to feed upon it. Do I live on the bread that comes down from heaven? What is that bread but Jesus Christ Himself incarnate, whose body and whose blood I eat and drink? Am I continually receiving fresh supplies of strength? Where do I gather my might? My help comes from heaven's hills: Without Jesus I can do nothing.
As a branch cannot bring forth fruit except it abide in the vine, no more can I, except I abide in Him. What Jonah learned in the ocean, let me learn this morning in my room: "Salvation belongs to the LORD."

~ gravity glue


sal·va·tion
  

/salˈvāSHən/
Noun
  1. Deliverance from sin and its consequences.
  2. Preservation or deliverance from harm, ruin, or loss.
Synonyms
rescue - saving - deliverance - redemption - escape
~ gravity glue

(Go look at that guy's rock stacks ... some kinda genius at work there!)


If a person can do what he in fact does do with ... rocks and physics ... with seen and unseen ... well, there's no telling what God can stack up via the Rock of Salvation, Christ.

So.  I really am thinking about this little "devotional" this morning and ... I see how he came up with this idea, or conclusion.  It kind of creeps me out too though in that it emphases how not in concharge we are.  I like it because, for one thing, it seems true to me, but the other thing after that is the idea expressed by the words  except I abide in Him ...good words.  Abide ... I've been hearing the idea of   reading the word (God's word not what someone else has to say about/with it) ... and the other day I read a definition of religion, let me go find that, bc it was really cool to see expressed in black and white why "religion" is a fail ... religion attempts to "glue" stuff, people, ideas ... rules ... pretty much everything ... together but it's not the glue ... I think the glue is something invisible; wholly and completely of God as Begg has phrased it.
Here's a definition ... the one I am most acquainted with:


re·li·gion  

/riˈlijən/

Noun
  1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
  2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Here's the one I read the other day (here @ Improved Clinch ... thanks JOHN)

Christianity is NOT Religion, it is a most powerful self improvement tool, and using the teachings of Jesus Christ for any other purpose than self improvement leads to problems.
The Latin word from which the English word “religion” is derived means “to bind up.” Jesus did not come to bind us up in rules and regulations or rituals of devotion, but to set us free to be man as God intended.
I think it really is that simple.  The difficult part for me is ... abide ... it's a big word.  

a·bide  

/əˈbīd/
Verb
  1. Accept or act in accordance with (a rule, decision, or recommendation): "I would abide by their decision".
Synonyms
stay - stand - endure - reside - dwell - remain - bear

Abide ... abode.  I'm thinking about that.  We "go" to where we think we are sheltered/nurtured ... loved.  We naturally, intuitively, seek an abiding place.  I love this word and the many connotations.  

Some one else has done some thinking on this word ... found here, I copied and edited  a bit:


It is amazing how when a word is translated from one language to another, it loses a large amount of its original meaning and gains an entirely different meaning. The word "abide" is one of those words. See, people don’t really know what this word means and so assume that it is not an important word. H
...
The regular dictionary contains several definitions for the word "abide." These definitions are: to put up with, tolerate; wait patiently for; to withstand; to dwell; to remain in place; and to conform to. These are all good definitions, but in the original usage (Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic), the meaning of the word went much deeper.

There are five different words in the original Greek and Hebrew for the one word (abide) that we have in our language. 

The first of these words, epimeno, is the strengthened form of another verb, meno, which means "intensive." The word epimeno sometimes indicates perseverance in continuing to do something. 
The second word, katameno, is a verb that means "constant residence" or "frequent resort." Another word, parameno, means "to continue" and is sometimes used to express confidence in abiding with a person. 
One really neat word is hupomeno which means "to remain in a place instead of leaving it; to stay behind or persevere." 
Finally, the word prosmeno is used in several different situations to indicate a persistent loyalty or a continuance in doing something.
...
When we abide in something, we are loyal to it even unto death. When we abide, we remain in a certain place even when the rest of the world has left us behind. To abide means to continue doing whatever is being done even when it is hard and the urge to quit is almost too much. The word abide means to cling to something and have faith in it, even when it seems to have failed. Sometimes "abide" is used with some of the meanings that are in today’s English dictionary, but the above mentioned usages are also a large part of the way this word fits into our language.

not exactly "accept" or "act in accordance with" ... worth some thought



No comments: