The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Grace ...

 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, 
O God! how great is the sum of them!  If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee. 
 Psalms 139:17&18



Grace ... what a great set of lyrics ... and the music flowing ebbs and surges so gracefully, giving receiving, like the gift of a wave lapping at the shore ... traveling from the deep  ... cooling the feet of those who venture in.

This is one of my very favorite songs.
I like to remember everything about a pearl ... and grace ... I'm learning about grace.
And I like to remember the idea of how those pearly gates might have come to be.  I know Christ affirms that he is the way ...
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6
and the entrance is via
The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass. Revelation 21:21(NIV)

grains of sand x 250
@ Dr. Gary Greenberg

I like to think about how a pearl is formed ... and that it isn't necessarily formed around a grain of sand (I love those microscopic photos of sand)  ... his images are available to purchase here, on Dr. Greenberg's site.  Genius.

Anyway ... thinking about sand has distracted me!
Pearls ... more likely the result of  protective layers collecting over a parasite.  I wonder if "sin" is sorta like a parasite.  ummm ... a destructive parasite is what I mean, an irritant to our souls.  Well, I'm thinking about that a little bit.  I do like the idea of a life nurtured by grace approaching a gate which is a pearl. Back in Dec 2010 I was thinking this:

By the way ... that song, Pearl ... today was the first day I have heard it. Last week I was talking with H and I said I think those 12 gates that are the entry in to heaven ... it says they are made from solid pearls. If our souls are the same size as as the current body to pearls ratio then those heavenly pearls are some big pearls. Pearls are formed via aggravation. By my calculations big pearls must required some pretty intensive aggravation! If our life experiences shape us for eternity (which I think is the whole point ... well, maybe for God's amusement as well - idk) then maybe there is something to how we choose to deal with all these aggravations ... while those pearls are being formed.

... and today, the idea of that is on my mind again.  
Our life creates a pearl ... or a whole string of them.  I am feeling especially aggravated lately.  I'm grateful that grace is available to help me add another layer to my pearl.

Too funny ... I remembered this busted up junk store find ...  faux pearls ... and I made this bracelet today.   I sat on the front porch and stuck my feet out in to the rain ... and called Ds, chatting, laughing about her mom teaching us how to macramé back in the day, and here I am a hundred years later this over that, that over this  ... and smiling about her little grand daughter and old mardi gras beads ... and my brother extending hospitality for us to hang out at his house ... .  She and I both need a little end of summer break!







No comments: