The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Storms ... Shelter ... Love

National Hurricane Center weather graphic from this morning ... loosely translates:  Today would be a good day to check and restock the storm pantry!  Earlier today I looked for recipes for cooking when you have no power ... from mostly canned foods.   The cookbook, A Man, A Can, A Plan  has made it's way to Texas I do believe ... .
What usually happens here is we lose electrical power.  Several storms
ago we were without for about two weeks.  As soon as was possible I changed my kitchen stove to gas.  So much better, even on clear days. The tall tress pull the power lines down.  Seems like a lot of this area has above ground electrical cable.

 beautiful from way away ... storms are something to be as ready as possible for ... I'm going to grind some coffee beans in a minute.  Isaac means laughter, laughing ... .

 I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm. ~Psalm 55:8 (NIV)

I read it early this morning before I got out of bed, another translation substituted ... well, here:

How quickly I would escape--far from this wild storm of hatred ~Ps 55:8 (NLT)

Sometimes it's interesting to see how different people translated these ancient texts.  I still don't understand a lot of the passages in Psalms, but, I'm trying.  The book is surprisingly tender at times ... it helps me quite a bit to begin the day with readings there.
My brother and I are discussing the idea of how and who does one decide to love ... and ... what does that mean.  Gosh, I enjoy talking with him about stuff.  My brother is a good man. Well, he is a bit of a stinker too, but I am a big fan ... I've especially liked him for a very long time.  Well anyway, my main question or ponderance (lol) is kinda difficult to express.  I am wondering if one can truly love a person they have never met.  Like ... I really like some writers ... big fan of Thoreau and Emerson, Longfellow, Eliot ... these guys write words that provide shelter.  A short cut to what T and I are talking about ... These writer guys have been given a place in my heart, but they came in through my mind.  That probably doesn't make sense.
I love my kids ... that love is from my heart to my mind ... I love them because they are my family, chosen by my heart, my mind can not evict them. ... Ummm, strangers ... also chosen by the heart I believe, because when my mind starts getting involved I am cautious (not a bad thing).  The people who my eyes never see ... how do I love them?  Do I love them?  That's what we are talking about, and I think yes.  Yes and it's interesting because I love them with my mind ... my mind loves them ... or the them my mind sees them to be (which is very one dimensional).  But, I think it is a sort of love none the less.  And ... isn't that precisely how I come to love God?  Some of the words in His book eventually penetrate my heart, but they come to my heart from my mind. And ... as this:
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[b] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[c] There is no commandment greater than these. ~Mark 12:30 and 31
 I think the words are chosen for their significance ... they mean something different from each other. Heart. Soul. Mind. Strength.
I think I know love with my heart.  Also with my mind.  I think I understand what it means to love with my strength ... sometimes love requires lotsa strength ... love isn't easy.  With my soul ... harder to grasp in some ways and yet I think my soul knows.  That's what I'm trying to think about.  The soul seems to love generically as well as specifically ... I can see why love is such a big deal.
thoughts added this morning to my notes on Dust

for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. ~Psalm 103:14
to the One who remembered us in our low estate His love endures forever ~Psalm 136:23
and that there is even any type of channel through which love may flow between dust and the Creator is amazing ... amazing that any of us is able to love in any capacity ... amazes me.  And yet ... we do, we know we do. We can see the evidence of love.
Storms ... shelter ... love.  That's what I'm trying to think about. 
And this ... the rock is good.
Ps 27:5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. 

No comments: