The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, August 3, 2012

horizontal stripe tone on tone (eggshell and gloss) paint






Last night, after dinner, I cut the ceiling and doors in ... woke up this morning ready to paint.  This hall makes a right turn from the foyer ... straight ahead from the front door is the den, beyond the door pictured here.  One can also see this paint from the living room which is painted dark grey.  This color is the same as the ceiling paint in the living room and dining room.  For the ceiling I chose a matte finish paint.  The foyer and hall will be painted in something more "washable" ...



first photo is the "before" ... the rest of these photos show the three broad stripes freshly painted ... 18.5" in eggshell. When completed there will be five stripes ... two in high gloss.















Once this paint is "right" I'll tape the lines and in order to get a perfect line I will paint over the bottom edge of the tape with this eggshell paint ... tape, no matter how awesomely applied, allows bleeding ... little crumbly edge bleeding.  By painting over the tape line initially with the eggshell (color #1) all the bleed paint will be the color I wanted there in the first place.  After that dries, I will paint the high gloss stripes.  When the tape is removed, the lines will be ... uh, perfect ... as perfect as they can be at least.
H suggested I go just a little lighter color on the gloss stripes.  I can't wait to get some of the gloss up so I can see the difference between the two.  Paint store mixologist said the gloss automatically makes my paint lighter.  So ... this paint is the exact same "color" varied only by the amount of gloss added to the paint.  I want something very subtle ... to tell the truth, I'm not even sure I'm going to like horizontal stripes here ... this isn't a formal house, but ... well, we'll see!  The tedious part is getting it up for a look see ... rolling over the gloss would be a piece of cake if we don't love this treatment.  

Unfortunately, I have a couple of places in the sheet rock that want attention.  All those little dings call out when I start putting up fresh paint!

I'll post the results in a day or two.






Taping is ... a grind.  I don't know if it would be a lot better to have a tape buddy or not.  I am so glad that there are only four tape lines per wall on this pattern.

So ... tape goes up and I rub over it with a safety razor then I paint the same color as the paint under the tape.  That's drying now ... next I'm going to paint the high gloss stripe.  This wall probably gets the best natural light in this area ... can't wait to see the results!

Like every other DIY project, this is taking a bit longer to do then I anticipated.  As I marked the walls for the tape line I realized that there war place where my paint wouldn't fill in its entire stripe.  Third coat ... .



I really like it  ... cabana stripes.

A quart of the gloss wasn't enough ... Lowes run coming up ... so close!

Well ... taping all by myself took a ton of time and I was thinking ... I hope this is worth it.  When began pulling the tape away I was so happy.  So happy.  Exactly what I hoped for.

the ceiling and the walls stripes really are the same color ...

Job on hold til Monday ... when I will go get another quart of paint and ... new switch plates (ewww ... ahhhh).

There are a couple of places that need a little touch up ... and a pencil mark or two.  Looking forward to wrapping this up tomorrow.  Love it.










Finished ... brushes washed pictures hung kinda finished!  

4 comments:

HG said...

it looks great! so glad it turned out just the way you wanted.

DeAnn said...

That Harlequin diamond design you did in multi colors must have been grueling! Gorgeous, but intense! C is wishing for chevron stripes on the stair risers ... idk!

btw ... pictures I took along the shoreline ... shells and bird tracks on freshly grated Zen-gardenesque sand.

... so glad to be finished!

Sharon said...

Wow the walls are beautiful! I have bookmarked this post so when I finally have a house to paint I can follow your instructions for the same effect.

Thank you for sharing your blog with me!

DeAnn said...

Nice of you to stop by Sharon!