The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Stress

http://http//press.nationalgeographic.com/pressroom/index.jsp?pageID=pressReleases_detail&siteID=1&cid=1216046425623

Excerpt from National Geographic's release on their "Stress: The Silent Killer or Stress:Portrait of a Killer or Killer Stress" documentary ... yeah, the search showed up three different (yet related) titles ... I'm smiling as I picture the conference room struggle that might have produced this title. "Stress and Killer" seem to go together like "Fred and Ginger".

"WASHINGTON (July 12, 2008)—Stress. In the beginning it saved our lives. It's what made us run from predators and enabled us to take down prey. Today, humans are turning on that same life-saving stress response to cope with 30-year mortgages, four-dollar-a-gallon gas, difficult bosses and traffic jams — and we can't seem to turn it off. As a result, we are constantly marinating in corrosive hormones triggered by the stress response.

The film is based partly on Sapolsky's best-selling book "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers: Stress Disease and Coping." In addition to his professorship at Stanford, Sapolsky is a research associate with the Institute of Primate Research at the National Museum of Kenya. He is also the author of "A Primate's Memoir" and "The Trouble with Testosterone," a Los Angeles Times Book Award finalist. Sapolsky's work has been published in Science, Lancet and Journal of Neuroscience, and he has contributed articles to Discover, The New Yorker and Men's Health. He lives with his family in San Francisco."


I enjoyed seeing some of this program. I say some, because even though I specifically selected it for viewing, I was juggling several balls and was unable to stay in the room the whole time it was running. I had hoped to find a really good synopsis on line this morning, because I prefer reading about it during this quiet time, to viewing ... it's hard for me to sit still (and relax) and this new streaming only deal at our house is time consuming and stressful ... I'm not quite up to speed on NetFlix.

The documentary opened with a look at a tribe of monkeys. As the camera panned in we saw one monkey stealthily come up behind another monkey, grab it by the neck, and start plunging it face first in to the watering hole. It reminded me of my girls ... sorta ... they don't put their hands on each other, but the fur flies none the less. The commentary said some thing like ... these guys need only work 3 hours a day for food, the rest of the time is spent devising ways to drive on another crazy. Yeah. I bet. http://http//inspiration.ehc.com/CustomPage.asp?guidCustomContentID=%7BFE36DF79-5478-4A4E-9348-916B5258FB75%7D
Ten Ways to Handle Stress
1. LOOK FOR THE CAUSES: Who or what is at the bottom of the stress? Dealing directly with the person or issue may be the best approach.

2. EXAMINE YOUR RELATIONSHIPS. What can you do to put more warmth, more communication, and more mutual support into them?

3. EVALUATE. Not every argument is worth trying to win. Defend values that are important but learn to ignore lesser issues.

4. BE POSITIVE. If you fail, don't concentrate on failure. Deliberately recall past successes. It helps self-esteem.

5. SEEK ADVICE. Confiding in a friend can uncoil the tightly wound spring of tension. Seek professional assistance when needed. You're worth it!

6. DO SOMETHING FOR OTHERS. Reaching out can occasionally take the focus off self and reduce the stress caused by brooding.

7. DO ONE THING AT A TIME. The seconds pass in single file; yet, how quickly they become minutes and hours. You'll get more done with less "hassle" when you concentrate on each job as it comes.

8. LEARN TO PACE YOURSELF. You can't operate in high gear all the time. And you can't just "sit there" all the time, either. Take a break. Go for a walk. Look out the window. Do something else.

9. EXERCISE. Physical exercise can refresh you after heavy emotional strains. Reading a book can relax you after physical action.

10. CREATE A QUIET PLACE. Take time to meditate, to pray, if you choose. Recent studies of meditation techniques and yoga show that we can train ourselves to relax.


Source: Oncology Patient Education Manual: 7:12.2. Supplement #4, September 1998




I am currently sitting here looking out the window. I was thinking about this list - the best (I think) of many available on-line. I am pretty stressed. And it's caused mostly by things that won't matter a few months from now. And it's caused mostly by things that are not within my control.
* Neighbors. Love thy neighbor. A lot of stress is leaking through the neighborhood. I'm not sure about answering the door ... or my phone ... when one of my neighbors calls. I care for her, but ... what she needs is beyond my capabilities. I realized that out yesterday, but I am afraid that isn't very loving. She needed something yesterday during the time I had allotted for dinner prep, which I missed because it abutted a business obligation ... a cocktail party in support of husband's interests. Then a late basketball game ... then a run to the market for cold and flu relief ... late to bed ... early to rise with a list of high priority errands to runrunrun.

So, today. Today, I'll take care of those things I have on my list. And I think I'll print off this other list ... the how to handle stress list ... I totally do not see the martini stop on that list ... . Martinis are not on my diet, but I was sure thinking about one when I kicked off my shoes last night!

No comments: