The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, February 14, 2011

Yesterday my husband said he would definitely do a "few" day hike on the trail with me. When it comes right down to it, will he? Will the time ever be right for a few days hike? We shall see. I am not optimistic about that ... and even less so that it would be a rewarding experience even if we did go.

Our anniversary is in May ... the official website for the trail says May would be optimal hiking conditions (historically). I am supposed to be getting this thing planned and materials/equipment gathered. I am going to start by ordering the AT trail guide for the Southern portion. I am a kind of an in for a penny in for a pound kind of person. He is more the try it out type. I say that defeats the purpose of this little jaunt. What I am looking for with an experience like hiking the trail can not be accomplished in three or four days. I am looking for a journey ... not exactly the same thing as a short hike, but ... I guess that is what is being offered. I am afraid that three days ... four days ... out there will present most of the discomforts without hinting at the majesty which might be found within, as well as in the vistas. I told him that I think if we spent three months out there hiking the trail together that we could find our way back to not who we were when we first began to love each other, but maybe who we might become as we journey towards what our future may hold. I guess I am looking for that pearl ... maybe I should just settle for a ring. After all these years together we maybe shouldn't be tromping through the woods unsupervised by our children ... .

Well, I believe a few days out there will convince both of us that this isn't a good idea ... it would take at least a month to push through the stuff and make the experience worth while ... that's what I think.

So what I'm going to do is take a serious look at the cost of doing a four day trip ...I'm going to plan it as if. I will enjoy the exercise. I am certain that I can find appropriate hiking buddies at some later date. Either, or both of my sons would be strong possibilities. When I figure out the cost I will look at some of the Robert Trent Jones golf packages ... my husband golfs ... well. He has a golf buddy who would be flexible enough to spend a long weekend golfing. All of those RTJ venues have spas for the wives ... maybe not all, but the ones I'm thinking of do. Wouldn't it just make sense to spend the day slathered in mud from the rain forest ... soaking in seaweed infused splendour ... while he golfs. He loves to golf. That AT experience has bad idea flags flying at each point of entry.

No comments: