The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Orchid

A few fierce cells rushed though here last night ... it's good to have a strong roof overhead.  There's something about rain ... something about stormy weather ... oh, I love the rainy nights, I love to hear the thunder, watch the lightning when it lights up the sky, you know it makes me feel good ... .  Cocooned, I love to look out at it.  I like weather ... it fascinates me to see the planet spinning her multi-layered attire.  This soft morning finds last night's red boxed convective sigmets  drip dropping steady from the eaves ... falling like fingers on an Steinway.

I have a new orchid on the table in the foyer.  It was a nice surprise from my husband.  Everything about an orchid is ... perfect.  My little girl asked me where I was going to set it,  and I wondered where she would choose.  She specified three different places in our home ... laughing I agreed ...  we will  be moving it all around  so we can enjoy it as much as possible.  I love having an orchid  in the house.  My little cyclamen didn't fare well this year ... I'm keeping the house cooler then those babies prefer.
Today ... door project on hold due to high humidity!  I'm sure I'll find something to do ... .  This pantry door was the most labor intensive so far.  I guess it swings open even more frequently then the refrigerator! I didn't paint over the "growth chart" ticking the years.  It's sweet.  If I had that to do over again, I would secure a nice wooden yardstick three feet above the floor ... we'd make our notes of initials and dates on that rather then the door frame.  My kids have loved monitoring their height ... hard to paint over that!

At the end of March I get to spend a day at the Battleship Memorial Park in Mobile.   The battleship USS Alabama is docked there and even cooler ... tons of airplanes are on static display.  I am pretty excited about the trip.  My husband will be working so I get to wander around all by myself.  Last time we were there he shepherded our two oldest children around the ship while Three and I hung out ashore ... I was huge pregnant with Four and simply couldn't chase a three year old up and down those narrow stairways for more then the first couple hours aboard!   After banging my head a couple of times he and I found other things to look at ... that child was such a fearless little thing ... and fast!   His antics have stopped my heart a few times over the years!  It will be a lot of fun for me to go back for a visit without a diaper bag.  We get to ride the ferry ... silly how much I love that, and visit a Fort down there on the coast.  It's really cool, but I can't recall the name of it right now.  Then I think we'll spend a couple days on the beach.  I can't remember being at the coast with out at least two of our children.  I'm interested to see what places that don't serve chicken tenders and fries are like!

Another thing I'm looking forward to doing is visiting the planetarium in Atlanta.  I never have thought about doing things that I like by myself, but there is absolutely no reason not to. ... C and I want to ride that "Screaming Eagle" zip line ... still haven't gotten to that, but she's definitely my go to buddy for stuff like that.

Well, I better go actually do something ... the day's getting away!

No comments: