The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday ... movie night.  Last week we skipped because I really don't like to see the type movies that seem to play in October.  I'm thinking back over the past several months worth of movies and Brave was definitely one of my favorites ... I might enjoy "Looper", playing this evening.
Action/Adventure/Sci-fi ... one of my go to genre ... usually fails to deliver but, we keep our hopes high.  I know I would like to see ARGO, based on the Iran hostage situation back in the late 70's early 80s ... pivotal.  I don't like the fuzziness of "history" served up in technicolor on the silver screen with popcorn and Coke ... but,  real events are never black and white.
I can not wait for the new Bond film ... "Skyfall" ... same Bond,  Q's new,  ... !  November release.

This morning I got to "visit" with the South Korean ladies.  I took a little over night case of everyday hygiene type items.  They agree with me that the ZUM soap smells and feels wonderful.  The plan is to enable them to ask for products with confidence.  Last week one of the ladies told us that they drove to Atlanta to visit the Korean grocery store, and I sure do understand the comfort one might find among familiar products.  I wanted to give them an opportunity to ask questions about very important stuff like shampoo.  Because they don't need deodorant, they had never smelled Secret.  They thought it was a very funny name for a very bizarre product.  Next week I will prepare something like a vegetable soup for them to sample and I'll pack a shopping basket with the ingredients.  One of the women volunteered to prepare a Korean soup for our little group too.  We talked about grocery shopping quite a bit today.
They were surprised that we don't have a TV in our home and I explained that everyone can watch pretty much whatever they might wish for via Netflix or Hulu ... the idea was not to limit viewing, but to help us consciously choose our programing.  They were also surprised that we drink very very little soda pop type drinks ... Coca Cola  has probably the best recognized icon on the planet.  I told them we drink water with our meals, sometimes tea, but rarely.  Also, that we drink some alcohol in our home, but most Baptists will say they don't.  My big surprise today was that the Korean ladies like to give and receive paper towel and even toilet paper as a hostess type gift.  I am starting to understand that disposable items are a display of wealth ... and that display has some element of gratitude rather then simply conspicuous consumption ... they said giving someone paper towel is a way of sharing your wealth.  They think Bounty is properly named.  I would be a bit flabbergasted if someone showed up with 12 rolls of t-paper ... I didn't realise until today that it is a wonderful treat.  Gosh they are a lot of fun!  We also spent time discussing right turn on green light when oncoming traffic also wishes to turn ... left for them.  In their country, it is proper to yield to the oncoming turning traffic ... here the vehicle which is turning right would be expected to go first ... both having just a green light.  It was a bit tricky to explain the green arrow rules because in our small town a protected turn is unusual ... it hurts their feelings to have people blowing the horn at them when they are just trying to be courteous.


toilet paper ... yes, it is really nice ...

2 comments:

John Venlet said...

DeAnn, my brother Mort began working with a South Korean group about 3 years ago who are involved in the manufacturing industry. Since that time, he has been to South Korea two or three times, in addition to his daily close workings with them. Mort has nothing but the highest praise for their work ethic, manners, and desire to know and understand and assimilate into American culture. It sounds as if you're involved with people of a similar nature.

DeAnn said...

I haven't had the opportunity to travel outside our country very much ... moving to the deep South was a big culture shock for me. I admire these South Korean women, half way round the world from all that is familiar and dear. I am learning much more from them then they possibly can from me.