The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

PVT Ground Lesson 1 - informal intro

I said I was going to post notes for Private Ground ... .  I've been thinking about how I want to format those and haven't reached any solid plan for these ... so today, we will experiment with the "here goes" option.

I am unsure about where to start.  If we were in a classroom, I'd introduce myself ... hi, I'm DeAnn, and frankly, I would then start looking around the room for the deadheads, because ... certification is a lot of work.  It's time consuming ... expensive ... addicting ... frustrating ... exhilarating ... the list goes on and on.  I have been amazed at the depth and breath of information that is mandatory for just this first little certificate ... the Private Single Engine Land (PSEL) ... aka, Your License to Learn ... first heard that expression right after my certification ride, and I thought ... I know a lot more then he ( the check pilot) thinks I do ... I am like a rockstar with wings now!
Ha ha ha ... that was a long time ago, and to tell you the truth, I have never gotten in to that seat without ... seeing things I either didn't see before ... not enough knowledge to know what I didn't know (and at the beginning of this, ignorance is both bliss and potentially ... ummm, problematic) or experiencing new (and this is huge part of the fun) challenges.  What I'm saying is: Flight is a very dynamic and rewarding venue.

So, you think you want to fly ... or maybe you just want to see if you can cut it in ground school.  I have had many student's show up for class with no intention to fly ... usually they are AeroSpace majors looking for an easy A ... and omg are they awesome at the aerodynamic material ... systems, performance ... they get it!

... Let's do a course overview here:  The FAA provides a detailed list of Aeronautical Knowledge requirements in FAR 61.105
Our stated objective is to provide a general introduction of information in preparation for the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) private pilot written exam. Topics covered will be:
1. Fundamentals of Flight ... basically, airplane systems and aerodynamics
2.Flight Ops (Operations) ... the flight environment, for example, safety, airports, charts and airspace and communications, such as radar and ATC (air traffic control), radio procedures and various sources for flight information.
3. Aviation Weather (huge topic)  BASIC weather theory ... patterns and hazards to flight, and fundamental info on  acquiring and interpreting weather data.
4. Airplane Performance ... and weights and balances ... E6B basics, and Navigation ... flight planning, and how to track your performance during a flight.
5 Aviation Physiology ... aka: Human factors, and Aeronautical Decision Making
and the best for last ... with a drum roll please ...
6.The Regs which are the Federal Aviation Regulations ... rules and procedures for General Aviation.
In a classroom setting, I always introduce the Regs as soon as possible.  What I think I have noticed, is ... a lot of pilots don't like rules. No, not quite so ... more accurately stated; I have observed that a lot of pilots don't want all the rules to apply to themselves, they are usually fine with all the rules applying to most of their pilot buddies and in fact will sometimes make up rules that they wish to apply to ... maybe not their buddies is the best way to say that. So, usually someone asks ... innocently ... who makes the rules?  And this is as good an answer as I can give ... a lot of "stuff" goes in to deciding what the rules are but the bottom line is the FAA decides ... regulates ... interprets ...and enforces.  Somebody has got to do it ... and they are "the man".
Knowing and following the REGs is the way to get on the same page with other citizens of the aviation community and ... protect your investment (time and money and uh uhm, butt).  There is a "suggested" study list for the Private/Recreational  student in the FAR/AIM ... btw ... always use the most current material, stuff changes that's why a new publications come out. A lot of aviation publications have a "shelf life".  Updates to the Regs. are routinely dispersed via http://www.faa.gov/  and there is a wealth of interesting material provided there free of charge.  Check it out.  I encourage ... strongly "suggest" ... that a beginning ground school student start reading and understanding the list of regs and the material in the AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual) as soon as possible.  This is best done on a daily basis ... not even kidding here ... learn the REGs ... follow the REGs ... don't try to bend them if you want to keep flying. Wow ... that's a lot on the REGs to start with.  I buy the book every year ... still ... I read it often.  And I absolutely love the iPhone app for the FAR/AIM.  Students invaribly ask me for the titles to some of my favorite aviation books ... blogs ... non-classroom material.  Honestly, read this primary stuff first ... it will give you a stronger perspective to appreciate the other stuff from ... .
I mentioned the Aeronautical Engineers ... they usually do not "like" weather information ... and the REGs just seem like punishment for thinking this material will be  ... an easy A.  Some of them do well ... the really smart ones drop the class early ... this material should support the quest for a Private Pilot Certificate ... it's just too much work otherwise!  That's what I think.

There are several excellent syllabus' ... syllabi (sounds itchy)  available.  I'm going to use the Jepp (Jeppesen Sanderson) syllabus here.  I understand that even the airlines use Jepp to support ground review.

I'll post a list ... the list ... of reference materials on my next Ground School Post.  The real truth is: private ground is basically "directed reading". It's tedious ... extremely time consuming ... some of it ... maybe even a lot of it, you won't "get" if you're not flying too.  I love it.  Really ... there is so much cool stuff to learn ... and that's before you even get to put it to practice!  The actual written test which is required for certification is easy ... becomes easy ... if you study.  The FAA generously provides the questions and the answers that they want. We'll talk about that on the next post.