The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Day


Today was a wonderful day. It was good to wake up in my own bed. I like my sheets and my fluffy duvet ... I like how the sun paints wake up smiles on the drapes ... and how the birds chirp ... I rub my foot back and forth as though in the sand under a receding wave ... I play at waking up. Today coffee was made ... and ... those tins of Sister Schubert's were already almost reay to ome out of the oven. I slept in. Two was up and at'em with everything headed in the right direction ... what a sweet way to start a Christmas day. Freshly ground Christmas coffee ready and waiting ... and a few quiet minutes with one of my sweethearts.

We always open presents on Christmas morning. I loved enjoying the thoughtful gifts that my children surprised each other with. They "get" each other. The presents they chose remembered and reinforced bonds. One gave Five a beautiful cookbook and had earmarked a few recipes which he said he was hoping they could cook together during this coming week ... Three gave One a t-shirt with some cartoon figures of a tv show they used to watch together. Two opened a scarf from Four which was exactly the scarf Five had her eye on as a gift for Four ... all three of the girls will wear it eventually. I like it very much that the kids have jokes with each other ... and love. It was a wonderful morning. Later those who wanted to went to see a movie. We usually do that on Christmas afternoon. I felt that I was behind on starting the gumbo, but it all came together in plenty of time. I didn't sit by the fire reading today. There wasn't a fire, and there wasn't really time either. I enjoyed my family today.

No comments: