The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Monday, November 19, 2012

Lunch today .. noteworthy because of the Kimchi
Here we have red kimchi ... very spicy, and white kimchi which seemed to me to be similar to "pickled". Yes, the chicken is a tad burned, I was busy visiting with Two in a different room when the smoke wafted me back to "cooking".  Apparently this fermented Napa cabbage may be eaten alone, as a side I think, or it may be a main ingredient in any number of Korean dishes.


found here David Lebovitz  ... a list of ingredients, but the recipe you'll want to tap the link for ... he does a vey fun little talk before the recipe.  And ... I think he may have the answer to "What sounds really worth the calories for desert?"  I bookmarked the site, something I almost never do.


Kimchi
1 large Chinese or Napa Cabbage
1 gallon (4l) water
1/2 cup (100g) coarse salt
1 small head of garlic, peeled and finely minced
one 2-inch (6cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/4 cup (60ml) fish sauce
1/3 cup (80ml) chili paste or 1/2 cup Korean chili powder
1 bunch green onions, cut into 1-inch (3cm) lengths (use the dark green part, too, except for the tough ends)
1 medium daikon radish, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon sugar or honey

I did like the kimchi as a side item ... got busy looking for a recipe to try out and came up with this soup.  Delicious!


No comments: