The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, March 26, 2011


"The future is not a result of choices among alternate paths offered by the present, but a place that is created ... created first in the mind and will, created next in activity. The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths are not found, but made, and the activity of making them, changes both the maker and the destination." - Richard Bach

A provocative idea is offered here ... . I'm thinking about this idea.  I am more familiar with the idea of the road less taken.  I have embraced the idea of this or that.  Was it a high school track coach who trained me towards this idea ... paraphrased - I have seen the direct quote ... when a choice presents itself  identify what is the more difficult path and choose that one ... it will take you to excellence ... where chosing the less strenuous path will take you down hill.  Intuitively obvious.  The Bach quote presents another ... entirely different perspective.  Rather then standing here looking at the divergent paths ... streams ... whatever ... . The decision of the choice is styled from a different place ... the place where your objective is met ... there.  This quote is so interesting as a carrier of an idea because it is the converse of my working philosophy ... backwards ... and more likely to get me to where I want to go right?

I'm thinking about this ... I want to be there.  Let's label that at the beach ... I see that place now.  None of the paths that I see before me will take me to that place ... yeah, I see that I could cut a path, but ... that interferes with other critical objectives.  I can not get to there from here.  I can not see the way, and I know the distance is too far for even my prodigious will.  Can I create a place ... there ... in my mind and will, and then intentionally  do those activities that will create more options ... can I create a path to there that is acceptable?  I do not know, but it is worth thinking about. 

Richard Bach ... Jonathan Livingston Seagull ... haven't read or thought of the book since the early 1970s.  Now it is time to walk Samson.  He has been very patient and I have neglected him these last few days.