The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Saturday, March 5, 2011

One thing about spending most of my life minding my own business is that it makes me virtually unfit for life in the real world. Another thing is that it makes me think the real world is a nicer place then it actually is. I may be having a better life here in the bubble then I realized. I think I have observed this before "I am like a home-schooled kid ... except I am an adult. I know important things that other people my age haven't thought about yet (because they are busy making a living), on the other hand, I am naive to the inane ways of the world (and therefore a dufus in the marketplace).

This has been a week that several of my pilot buds have called to catch up. I love that pilots are such great gossipers ... really, so much better then a coffee klatch. Everyone is wondering what's going on around here and it is pretty much true that I don't know. It's almost true that I don't care. Time does soothe wounds.
One of the guys told me what the scuttle is on why the DPE doesn't feel comfortable with me. I think it is worth noting here so I can think about it.

One thing is, as I suspected, because I did a little flight training with a guy who ended up at the FSDO. I flew with him enough to know that he is a decent person. He has never asked me anything about the flight school. On the other hand, I did delivered a request that he pay attention to the fact that the Chief spot was open. He told me to leave him out of it and I told him that I didn't initiate the idea, but that I'd pass it back. Pretty straight forward ... no fouls.
Another thing I was told this week came as a huge surprise. Apparently I stepped in it without really noticing this, but it makes sense now. When the guys from the FSDO came down to announce that a large group of our students would be given 709 rides I was leaning against the back wall beside a couple of the inspectors taking a few notes and doodling. None of that would have any impact on me, and I wasn't energized about it except from the perspective of the interpersonal dynamics at play. I wondered if the guy they sent down seemed like a good guy (to me) or not ... like did it matter to him how important this might be in the lives of the students. I knew the students would be asking me if everything was going to be okay or not - I wanted to form an opinion. I didn't need notes for that though, the notes were for the FI who was unable to attend the meeting and asked me to outline the specifics of the meeting for him. That was pretty black and white, just the names of the speakers and the gist of what they said ... he didn't ask for my impressions. I asked one of the inspectors how he thought this would go for the students. He said given the quality of instruction at this flight school he expected that it would go well. He said something like the only people who might not do well would be people who hadn't flown in a while and just blew-off getting up to speed. He made a disparaging crack about the other inspector - like pilots do - and we all laughed about it. It was a joke.
I remember taking some notes. I remember the DFE asking me for a copy of the notes. I remember not going to the trouble of giving him the notes ... I thought it was strange for him to ask me for my notes, but I wasn't trying to hide them from him. I just neglected to give them to him.
During that time the flight program was taking some bad press in the local newspaper. A gear up landing is a big news day here locally ... they rolled the firetrucks ... and ... an eye catching photo of a bent prop was front page worthy.
The DFE stopped me in the parking lot telling me in hushed tones that we have a mole in the operation. I sensed that he thought that might be me. I thought it was ridiculous. Stupid talk. I'm sure my expression said what I didn't when I asked him who he thought that might be.
My buddy told me that the DFE was unsure of my loyalties. Wow. I remember him dinging me when I did my CFI check ride ... he said it was ... hmmm, I've forgotten his words ... oh, that's it ... a sweetheart deal with the FSDO (different FSDO but apparently I am so charming that all the FSDOs want to enable me to provide flight instruction ... huge part of the PTS standards). It went right over my head that he was implying that was my reward for all the great intell.
See, the deal is this, I didn't realize that there was an us against them thing going on. I saw the inspectors as decent people just trying to do their jobs ... maybe that is naive ... I still see it that way long after the process is complete. The flight school turned in a very acceptable pass rate ... I think only one guy ending up losing his instrument rating ... he opted not to retest or whatever it is officially called. The inspector who took up the kid's ticket asked me to sit in on the debrief ... I did and saw nothing but compassion. After the kid stepped out the inspector told me that he hoped the kid would brush up a bit and hit it again asap ... I could tell that he took no pleasure in the process. I don't care who you work for, a pilot doesn't want to tell another pilot "I'm gonna need to hold on to your certificate for now" It shook both the student and the inspector up - that's what I saw. I know he asked me to sit in because someone was going to need to hug the kid ... which I did.

Well, I digress. I am glad that the mud on this has settled. I am glad to know what it was about me that made me a target. I had stopped thinking about that ... the truth is it has stopped mattering. The real irony is that I probably would have been helpful with this guys image management ... I am good at seeing the best face most of the time. The guys talk pretty bad about this guy and I have felt compelled to point out that he is their boss and as such deserves some respect. For some reason I feel strongly that you shouldn't bad-mouth your employer.

It's almost Spring Break ... this year I'm going to be able to float with no worries.

No comments: