The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Springbreak at Panama City Beach

The big sliding glass door stayed open all night welcoming the sounds of the surf and the cool night air. What a perfect night. Orion and I watched an airplane making it's way through the indigo velvet sky. A shooting star ... .  Later, a salty mist blanketed the coast and I wrapped myself up tight in that green blanket/shawl that I drag around ... over fifty and suddenly partial to a green ba ba ... when I slept, I slept well, when not, I sat on the balcony listening ... relaxing ... soaking it all in. I've been tired lately ... lately meaning this year. I feel rung out, but in a good way, like empty, but now serenely awaiting whatever comes next. I have enjoyed getting older ... I love the process of living. 
A 30% chance of rain was forecast for today, and an early morning walk saw this rainbow shimmering over the water ... a  welcome to what has become a pretty day. We decided at the last minute to make this trip to the coast ... my husband decided. I am used to going with the flow. Until very recently it hasn't occured to me that I could pack up a couple of the kids and head to the beach without him. It would seem weird to leave him at home, working, while we head out to play. I am dreading these next two years. He will retire after these next two years ... not retire; he constantly corrects me on that ... he'll finish his retirement at his present job and is already making preparations for what (work) he'll do next. That is how he organizes his life. We've been married for thirty years ... I can't imagine a life with a man who doesn't work, specifically on his work, almost continuously. I drove to the beach while he did paperwork ... he will walk with me up and down the shoreline and all the way out on the fishing pier as many times as I want to (probably) ... he'll shop with the girls (our grown up sons didn't make this trip with us) and keep them safe while they play in the water. He'll watch a little of the news on the tsunami ... take calls ... respond to texts and mail ... read ... sleep as much as possible and go back and hit the ground running ... two more years ... he wants them to be 2/3 of his top three. Yesterday, I asked him how he feels about me sailing around in the boat his retirement money will buy after he works himself to death. He laughed. He doesn't really like the idea of sailing anyway.

No comments: