The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Friday, March 4, 2011

My friend who stopped blogging because of a threatening commenter ... that is on my mind.
She writes about her "kumbaya-life" as she calls it, life with her young child and her husband ... when she mentions either of them, her eyes sparkle. It wasn't always like that for her ... she is a young woman with a painful past, and now she can't believe her good fortune. She can't believe the difference God has made since she let him in her life ... her blog was an open window to the joy that her faith was expressing. Then someone pointed out that she is vulnerable ... not just her, but everyone she holds dear. For now, at least, she has shut her window. She has snapped the lock in to place. She has closed the drapes. And she is in the process of building a fence around the house. What's next? I wonder. Motion actuated lighting? A guard dog? A gun ... maybe under her pillow?

"Kumbayah" (Gullah, "Come By Here" — "Kum ba yah") — is an African-American spiritual song from the 1930s. The song was originally associated with human and spiritual unity, closeness and compassion, and it still is in many places around the world. ~wikipedia (lol)


If there are still young men with idealistic ideas about who or what they are fighting to protect ... this kumbaya life of hers is it.

I call her friend ... frankly, she is one of two women who I call friend, and I consider myself extremely lucky ... blessed ... to have two true friends. H is more then 20 years younger then me. I am old enough to be her mother, and we are routinely mistaken for mother and daughter, when we get to hang out together. We look a lot a like. If it were possible to see us from the heart out ... through the psyche ... we would look even more alike. Those cracks on our soul ... pretty much in the same places.
I will say this ... it makes me sad to see her building fences. I understand why she has to. I understand, I really do. But, does she understand that fences don't really keep bad things out? Does she understand that fences are better for keeping things in.
Many years ago I started building fences ... then they became walls.

No comments: