The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cessna 170B

This photo simply does not do this magnificent airplane justice.

One of my buds invited me go along on an airplane shopping expedition. Well, we arrive at the airport where the plane is and go inside the FBO to let them know why we're there and what we want to do ... the kid at the desk says that plane isn't here ... it's at a field about 30 miles from here. I think to myself the kid doesn't have a clue ... an airplane owner flat out isn't going to direct a potential buyer to the wrong airport ... the kid insists though. I step away ... thinking, this isn't my gig, and I don't have to work this out. I see a couple of older guys lounging around, drinking coffee and ease-dropping like everyone in little FBOs tends to do. Perfect. I walk over and strike up a conversation, which eventually leads to me telling them my buddy is here to buy a plane ... buy sounds so much better then look at doesn't it? Turns out ... they are APs (Navy and both pilots to boot)... and they totally know where that airplane is tied down ... and they totally know the down low on every airplane that might be for sell on the field ... and they are willing to provide the grand tour.
We started with the C170B. As soon as the hanger door was opened I knew I was seeing something very very special. 1956 ... single owner (Retired airline pilot ... recently deceased) mostly vintage with some smart upgrades (no vacuum system see venturi intakes near engine in the paint stripe) ... it was so pretty ... so well loved, is really the only way to describe it properly ... The widow is not a pilot. I said "Letting go of this beauty will be like losing him all over again ... heart-breaking  ...but a plane like this deserves to be flown."

No comments: