The way to love someone
is to lightly run your finger over that person's soul
until you find a crack,
and then gently pour your love into that crack.
~Keith Miller

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

goodbyes

The other day I said I don't like goodbyes. Does anyone? Are we creatures of habit? Do we just get comfortable with what's routine, what's normal, what's predictable? I think I like some things to stay pretty close to the same ... shampoo there where I can find it even with my eyes shut against the shower ... white plates stacked beside the other plates, but not mixed (who would mix them?) ... I like some things to stay the same, but I like new ideas and challenges. What I really meant by I don't like goodbyes is I don't like to say goodbye to people I don't want to miss. People I don't want to miss seem to be few and far between in life.
There are people who I like and don't see as often as I would like to ... had fun with H today ... I'll have fun with her every once in a while for the rest of my life I bet, and she is one of the only people who can and does say "Uh ... you might wanna rethink that ...", that's not fun to hear, but she was on track and I needed to hear it.
Most of the people who come and go ... I don't miss.

I am not sad about these goodbyes coming up ... I enjoyed teaching my class very much, now someone else can have their turn.

PS 10 May ... I am currently looking through my blog storage for a quote that I would like to use in a post I am currently thinking about ... yeah, sometimes I do actually think about them before I start typing thoughts out on the screen ... anyway, I saw this post from back in December 2010 ... don't know why I didn't tap publish post. Goodbyes ... I love the idea of a good bye ... it seems to imply that all "good-byes"  might be good ... good as in well executed like a good departure climb ... so many degrees nose up ... we all know what that should look like.   Some kid today bombed the first part of his oral ... insisting on a number in the normal cruise range (airspeed) for his climb speed ... it messed the time to TOC up considerably ... then, he just wouldn't back down.  These little dinky dog planes are lucky to get  cruise speeds in cruise ... on a lovely day, they climb up off the asphalt at about half that speed.  These little planes don't eat altitude like shrimp cocktail ... .Anyway, what was I thinking about ... oh yeah, hunting down a quote. And good goodbyes ... well sometimes goodbye really and truly is all you've got to work with ... and that is good enough.

No comments: